||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
October 22, 1983
Seosan, South Korea
|Spouse(s)||Haha (m. 2012)|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Go-eun|
Kim Go-Eun (Korean: 김고은), better known by her stage name of 별 (Byul, "star"), is a South Korean singer known mostly for her ballads. She was born on October 22, 1983 in Seosan, Chungcheongnam-do and studied in Dongduk Women's University. She was discovered by singer-songwriter Park Jin Young when she had the opportunity to sing for him at one of his fan-meetings, and is currently signed under Spring Entertainment.
Byul's first album was released in 2002, with the interestingly-titled single "December 32nd" marking her debut in the entertainment industry. A song of waiting for a lost love (who promised he would be back before the end of the year), it became very popular (as it was released in December of that year). The subsequent singles from the album, though, did not achieve much popularity and Byul took a break from the music scene.
After taking one-year hiatus for vocal training, Byul released her eponymous second album, in March 2005. Her first and only single from the album was entitled "안부", a duet with ballad singer Na Yoon Kwon. Both the album and the single initially sold poorly. The song "I Think I Love You", however, was later used as the theme song for the Korean television drama Full House. The album enjoyed modest success when the drama became a hit domestically and internationally, and Byul's first two albums were subsequently released in China.
However, the title song "눈물샘" (literally Lachrymal Glands) was very popular, thus extending Byul's career. A follow-up single ("Cupid") was released, but it was promoted for a short amount of time, and Byul soon went on a break. She re-emerged in November to release a digital single, with the title 물풍선 (12월 32일 그 이후), or Water Balloons (After December 32), alluding to her debut song, thus making it a sequel song of sorts.
In April 2007, she then released her fourth album, entitled Her Story. In 2008, she released a best-of album, The Best, with the lead single "A Glass." The album also includes a duet with Rain entitled "How I Love You," as well as "Feeling Good Today" featuring MC Mong and a duet with Na Yun-kwon entitled "How Are You."
On 15 August 2012, it was announced that she was to marry South Korean singer, actor and cast of the variety show Running Man, Haha on 30 November 2012. Their first child, a son named Ha Deu-rim (Dream), was born on 9 July 2013.
- Byul Vol. 1 - December 32 (2002)
- 12월 32일 (December 32)
- 왜 모르니 (Why Don't You Know)
- 별의 자리 (A Star's Place)
- 여기까진거죠 (Up to Here?)
- Don't Leave Me
- 바보같이 (Like An Idiot)
- 얼마나 사랑하는지 (How Much I Love You) (feat. 비)
- 마음과 다른 말 (Saying Something Different From What Your Heart Feels)
- 그가 멀어질 때 (When I Am Further Away From You)
- 잊을 수 없네요 (I Can't Forget You)
- Byul Vol. 2 - Star (2005)
- 별 (別) (Star)
- 다른 사람 (Another Person)
- 안부 Byul (별) (Safety)
- 내 남자의 여자친구 (My Guy's Girlfriend)
- Saving My Best For You
- 이젠 내게 (Now to Me)
- 나쁜 저주
- 2 + 1
- 각자의 길 (Our Own Ways)
- 고마워할게요 (I'll Be Thankful)
- I Think I
- I Love You
- 나를 봐요 (Look At Me)
- 끝 (End)
- 안부 [Bonus Track] [Instrumental]
- Byul Vol. 3 - Lachrymal Glands (2006)
- 아무렇지 않게 (As nothing)
- 눈물샘 (Fountain of tears)
- 괜찮은 오늘 (feat. MC 몽)
- 슬픈 건망증
- Forever love
- 그대라는 사람은
- Stay by my side
- 버려야 할 것들
- 만나러 가는 길 (feat. Double K)
- 곁에서만 들리는
- Byul Vol. 4 - Her Story (2007)
- 미워도 좋아
- 연애의 정석 (Feat. Tk)
- 물풍선(12월32일 그 이후…)
- 세상의 반 (Feat. Hoody)
- 단꿈 (드라마 `오버더레인보우` Ost)
- Yes I Am
- 잊혀진 것들에 대해서
- 서툰 기대
- 마음이 (영화 `마음이` Ost)
- Byul Vol. 5 - Like A Star: Primary (2009)
- 드라마를 보면
- 허밍 (Feat.테이 Tei)
- 니가 떠난다 (Feat.박장근 Park Jang Keun)
- I Love U
- Kiss Day
- You Are The Best (넌 최고야) (2013)
- Full House OST: "I Think I" 2004
- Missing You OST Part 3: "Reminds of You" (feat Shorry J) - released 5 December 2012
- Who Are You: School 2015 OST Part 4: Remember
Though she has not had many appearances outside of music programmes, she has made special appearances on the South Korean variety shows Happy Together. She has also been a guest to Running Man Ep. 251, being partnered with her husband, HaHa. The couple also won the final mission, receiving a pair of star-shaped golden rings
- SBS Gayo Daesang New Artist Award (2002)
- Kim, Hyeong-woo. 별 새앨범 재킷 공개 ‘섹시-성숙미 발산’ (Byul's New Album Jacket Revealed, Radiates "Sexy Maturity"). Newsen January 30, 2009. Retrieved January 30, 2009.
- "상꼬맹이' 하하, 유부남된다..별과 11월30일 결혼". Star News. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "보고싶다 Part 3 (MBC 수목드라마)" [Missing You Part 3 (MBC new drama OST)]. Daum (in Korean). 5 December 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-10.