|Secretary of State for the Digital Sector|
|Assumed office |
31 March 2019
|Prime Minister||Édouard Philippe|
|Preceded by||Mounir Mahjoubi|
|Born||18 December 1982|
|Political party||La République En Marche!|
|Relatives||Delphine O (sister)|
|Education||Lycée du Parc|
|Alma mater||HEC Paris|
Cédric O (born 1982) is a French politician of La République En Marche! (LREM) who has been serving as Secretary of State (junior minister) for the Digital Economy in the government of Prime Minister Édouard Philippe since 2019.
Early life and education
In 2007, O started working as communications manager for the Operationelle corporation. Between 2014 and 2017, he was project manager for the Safran aircraft & rocket engine manufacturing company.
Along with future La République En Marche! cadres Ismaël Emelien and Benjamin Griveaux, as well as HEC alumnus Stanislas Guerini, O participated in the campaign team of Dominique Strauss-Kahn for the 2006 French Socialist Party presidential primary.
After serving as political adviser to finance minister Pierre Moscovici,, during the presidency of Socialist François Hollande, O was appointed treasurer of the La République En Marche! party in Emmanuel Macron's 2016–17 presidential campaign. In November 2017, O assumed the duties of political advisor to Macron and prime minister Édouard Philippe.
On 31 March 2019, O was appointed Parliamentary Undersecretary for the Digital Economy, serving under the leadership of minister Bruno Le Maire. In this capacity, he has invited tech CEOs to meet with the French president about the so-called “tech for good" project, as well as venture capitalists to Paris to promote to them the purported benefits of investing in the French "tech ecosystem." Cédric O convinced Facebook to allow French regulators to investigate the company's moderation processes, and also arranged a meeting between Macron and Mark Zuckerberg.
Amid efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic in France, O was one of the early supporters of the government's proposal for a state-supported “StopCovid” contact-tracing app project. He later publicly accused Apple Inc. of undermining the effort by refusing to help make its iPhones more compatible with the app.
- Harriet Agnew (October 25, 2019), Paris overtakes Berlin for tech start-ups after boost from Macron Financial Times.
- Braun, Elisa (2 April 2019). "Qui est Cédric O, le nouveau secrétaire d'État au numérique?" [Who is Cédric O, the new digital State secretary?]. Le Figaro (in French). Paris. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Pietralunga, Cédric (31 March 2019). "Cédric O, un proche conseiller d'Emmanuel Macron au secrétariat d'Etat au numérique" [Cédric O, a close consultant of Emmanuel Macron as Parliamentary Undersecretary for the digital economy]. Le Monde (in French). Paris. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Cédric O: Biographie". Government of France website. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- des Déserts, Sophie (27 April 2018). "Les hommes du président:La bande de copains qui a porté Macron à l'Élysée" [The president's men: The group of friends who brought Macron to the Élysée]. Vanity Fair (in French). Paris. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- Hoarau, Leia (31 March 2019). "Remaniement : qui est Cédric O, remplaçant de Mounir Mahjoubi ?" [Rebooting: who is Cédric O, replacing Mounir Mahjoubi?]. RTL (in French). Luxembourg. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Perreau, Charlie (1 April 2019). "Qui est Cédric O, le nouveau secrétaire d'Etat au Numérique ?" [Who is Cédric O, new Parliamentary Undersecretary for the Digital Economy?]. fr:Le Journal du Net (in French). Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Le Conseil de La République En Marche ! La République En Marche!, press release of 16 October 2017.
- Rossignol, Aurélie; Lombart, Gaël (1 April 2019). "Cédric O, le nouveau « geek » du gouvernement" [Cédric O, the new government geek]. Les Echos (in French). Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "Réguler internet ? Cédric O est "100% d'accord" avec Zuckerberg" [Regulate the internet? Cédric O is '100%' in agreement with Zuckerberg]. L'Express (in French). 1 April 2019. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Dillet, Romain (3 April 2019). "How France's new digital minister plans to regulate tech". TechCrunch. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Rossignol, Aurélie; Lombart, Gaël (1 April 2019). "Remaniement : 5 choses à savoir sur Cédric O, nouveau secrétaire d'Etat au Numérique" [Reboot: 5 things to know about Cédric O, new state secretary for the digital economy]. Le Parisien (in French). Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Mathieu Rosemain (17 April 2020), French COVID tracing app will not ready when parliament debates it Reuters.
- Sudip Kar-Gupta and Michel Rose (5 May 2020), France accuses Apple of refusing help with 'StopCovid' app Reuters.
- Rieth, Benjamin (1 April 2019). "Un nom de famille à une lettre comme Cédric O: pas si rare, mais cela peut causer des problèmes" [A one-letter family name such as Cédric O: not so rare but it can cause problems]. BFM TV (in French). Retrieved 4 April 2019.