Çakır in 2015
23 November 1976 |
|Other occupation||Insurance agent|
|2010–||UEFA Champions League||Referee|
He has been in the middle for more than 170 matches including 12 derbies (5 times Fenerbahce SK vs Galatasaray SK) in the Süper Lig and was selected for the U21 finals in Sweden in 2009, taking charge of three games including England's penalty shoot-out win against the hosts in the semi-finals.
On 29 September 2010, Çakır made his debut in the Champions League Group Stage when he took charge of group D fixture between Rubin Kazan and Barcelona, ending in a one all draw. He also took charge of the match between Chelsea F.C. and FC Spartak Moscow on 3 November 2010.
He has also refereed the UEFA Europa League Round of 32 match Manchester City-Dynamo Kyiv on 17 March 2011, which ended in a 1-0 win for City, but Dynamo Kyiv advanced to the next round after winning 2-1 on aggregate. Çakır sent off Mario Balotelli and dished out eight yellow cards.
On 11 June 2012, he officiated the Euro 2012 Match between Ukraine and Sweden.
On 18 June, he also officiated the Euro 2012 match between Italy and Ireland where he was very precise when it came to ensuring the correct distance from the ball to the defenders' wall, though he also angered the Irish by sending off Keith Andrews one minute before the end of the game. He was not selected to referee a quarter-final game but he was 4th referee in the England-Italy quarter-final. Next day, he was selected to referee the Portugal-Spain semi-final match in Euro 2012.
On 27 June 2012, he officiated the Euro 2012 semi-final match between Portugal and Spain. Çakır showed 9 yellow cards in this match in 120 minutes.
On 1 July 2012, he was appointed as fourth official in the Euro 2012 final, between Spain and Italy, which was played in Kiev.
On 14 December 2012, he was appointed to referee the 2012 FIFA Club World Cup Final, between Corinthians and Chelsea, which was played in Yokohama. Corinthians won 1-0. Çakır sent off Gary Cahill in this game.
On 5 March 2013, Çakır officiated the UEFA Champions League match between Manchester United and Real Madrid, and, in a controversial decision, sent off Manchester United player Nani for serious foul play during the second half of the match, a decision that enraged Sir Alex Ferguson in what became his last Champions League game as United manager.
On 9 July 2014, he was appointed to referee the 2014 FIFA World Cup semi final match, between Netherlands and Argentina, which was played in São Paulo.
In 2016, Çakır officiated two different semi-final matches in the 2015-16 UEFA Champions League, the first referee to do so.
- "Referee Cüneyt Çakır takes Turkey to Euro 2012 semifinals -- and beyond". Today's Zaman. 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- The FA
- The Sun
- "2010-11 UEFA Champions League Group D". UEFA.com. 29 September 2010. Retrieved 17 October 2010.
- "Chelsea v Spartak". UEFA.com. 3 November 2010. Retrieved 10 November 2010.
- "Referee Likes his distance". goalpost.tv. 18 June 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Referees confirmed for quarter-finals". UEFA.com. 20 June 2012. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Cüneyt Çakır ruins second leg between Manchester United and Real Madrid (5 March 2013).
- "Çakır to referee UEFA Champions League final". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 18 May 2015. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "En büyük final Cüneyt Çakır'ın". Hürriyet (in Turkish). 2015-05-18. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cüneyt Çakır.|
|FIFA Club World Cup final match referees
|UEFA Champions League Final match referees