Cécile La Grenade
Dame Cécile La Grenade
|Governor General of Grenada|
7 May 2013
|Prime Minister||Keith Mitchell|
|Preceded by||Carlyle Glean|
|Born||Cécile Ellen Fleurette La Grenade
30 December 1952 
|Alma mater||University of the West Indies
University of Maryland, College Park
Dame Cécile Ellen Fleurette La Grenade, GCMG, OBE, PhD (born 30 December 1952) is a Grenadian food scientist, who serves as Governor-General of Grenada. Dr. La Grenade was sworn-in as Governor-General of Grenada on 7 May 2013 as the nation's first female Governor-General.
La Grenade is the third of 5 daughters born to Allan A. La Grenade MBE, a public servant, and Sibyl Sylvester-La Grenade (BSc), a registered nurse. Her maternal grandmother, Mary Louise "Eva" Ollivierre-Sylvester, was the first woman in the British Windward Islands to serve on the Legislative Council of her country, after being the first female elected in 1952, less than 1 year after universal women's suffrage.
La Grenade is a US trained food scientist. She holds a bachelor's degree in Chemistry from The University of the West Indies, as well as a master's degree and doctorate in Food Science from the University of Maryland in College Park, Maryland. Her appointment as Governor-General was announced during the same week as the death of Grenada's first female Governor, Dame Hilda Bynoe. Bynoe was the goddaughter of La Grenade's maternal grandfather, Dr. Cyril I. St. Bernard Sylvester, an educator and public servant.
Dr. Cecile La Grenade was appointed a Dame Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George by Queen Elizabeth II on 14 May 2013.
- Per birth certificate, Registry of Birth records, Parish of Saint George, Grenada, West Indies
- Grenada Names First Female Governor General, Cecile La Grenade
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women
|This section lacks ISBNs for the books listed in it. (February 2015)|
- United Nations CEDAW/C/GRD/Q/1-5/Add.1 :Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women; Distr.: General, 4 November 2011; ADVANCE UNEDITED VERSION (p. 14)
- Shepherd, Verene A. (editor), Women in Caribbean History (Kingston: Ian Randle, 1999, ISBN 978-1558761896).
|Governor General of Grenada