C. F. Jeff Wu
C.-F. Jeff Wu
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
|Known for||EM convergence proof, resampling methods, industrial statistics, design and analysis of experiments|
|Awards||COPSS Presidents' Award, Shewhart Medal, R. A. Fisher Lectureship, Deming Lecturer Award, Akaike Memorial Lecture Award|
|Institutions||Georgia Institute of Technology,|
University of Michigan,
University of Waterloo,
University of Wisconsin-Madison
|Doctoral advisor||Peter J. Bickel|
Member of NAE and of Academia Sinica; Fellow of ASA, ASQ, IMS, INFORMS
Chien-Fu Jeff Wu (born 1949) is the Coca-Cola Chair in Engineering Statistics and Professor in the H. Milton Stewart School of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He is known for his work on the convergence of the EM algorithm, resampling methods such as the bootstrap and jackknife, and industrial statistics, including design of experiments, and robust parameter design (Taguchi methods).
Born in Taiwan, Wu earned a B.Sc. in Mathematics from National Taiwan University in 1971, and a Ph.D. in Statistics from University of California, Berkeley in 1976. He has been a faculty member at the University of Wisconsin, Madison (1977-1988), the University of Waterloo (1988-1993; GM-NSERC chair in quality and productivity), the University of Michigan (1995-2003; chair of Department of Statistics 1995-98; H.C. Carver professor of statistics, 1997-2003) and currently the Georgia Institute of Technology. He has supervised 46 Ph.D. students and published around 170 peer-reviewed articles and two books.  
He has received several awards, including the COPSS Presidents' Award in 1987, the Shewhart Medal in 2008, the COPSS R. A. Fisher Lectureship in 2011, and the Deming Lecturer Award in 2012. He gave the inaugural Akaike Memorial Lecture in 2016. He has been elected as a fellow of the American Statistical Association, the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, the American Society for Quality and the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences. In 2000 he was elected as a member of Academia Sinica. In 2004, he was elected as a member of the National Academy of Engineering. He received the Shewhart Medal of the American Society for Quality and an honorary degree from the University of Waterloo in 2008. 
In November 1997, he gave the inaugural lecture entitled "Statistics = Data Science?" for his appointment to the H. C. Carver Professorship at the University of Michigan. He popularized the term "data science" and advocated that statistics be renamed data science and statisticians data scientists. Later, he presented his lecture entitled "Statistics = Data Science?" as the first of his 1998 P.C. Mahalanobis Memorial Lectures. These lectures honor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis, an Indian scientist and statistician and founder of the Indian Statistical Institute.
In Mile, Yunnan, China, a conference was held in July 2014 celebrating Professor Wu's 65th birthday. In 2014 he gave the Bradley Lecture at the University of Georgia. In 2016 he was the inaugural recipient of the Akaike Memorial Lecture Award.  In 2017 Jeff Wu received the George Box Medal from ENBIS.
- "American Statistical Association Deming Lecturer Award", American Statistical Association, accessed September 25, 2012,http://www.amstat.org/awards/deminglectureraward.cfm.
- Wu, C. F. Jeff (1983). "On the Convergence Properties of the EM Algorithm". The Annals of Statistics. Institute of Mathematical Statistics. 11 (1): 95–103. doi:10.1214/aos/1176346060. JSTOR 2240463.
- "Chien-Fu Jeff Wu", Mathematics Genealogy Project, accessed October 11, 2014 http://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/id.php?id=34328
- "Experiments: Planning, Analysis, and Optimization, 2nd Edition", by C. F. J. Wu and M. S. Hamada, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 978-0-471-69946-0, accessed April 9, 2012, http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471699462.html
- "A Modern Theory of Factorial Design", by Rahul Mukerjee and C. F. J. Wu, Springer-Verlag, ISBN 978-0-387-31991-9, accessed April 9, 2012, https://www.springer.com/statistics/statistical+theory+and+methods/book/978-0-387-31991-9
- "Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies: Presidents' Award: Past Award Recipients," National Institute of Statistical Sciences, accessed April 5, 2012, http://nisla05.niss.org/copss/PastAwardsPresidents.pdf Archived 2015-07-01 at the Wayback Machine..
- "Shewhart Metal," American Society for Quality, accessed October 10, 2014, http://asq.org/about-asq/awards/shewhart.html.
- "Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies: Fisher Lecture: Past Award Recipients", National Institute of Statistical Sciences, accessed April 5, 2012,http://nisla05.niss.org/copss/PastAwardsFisher.pdf.
- "Akaike Memorial Lecture of The Institute of Statistical Mathematics and the Japan Statistical Society", The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, accessed September 24, 2016,http://www.ism.ac.jp/events/2016/meeting0905e.html.
- "Fellows of the ASA", accessed April 5, 2012 http://www.amstat.org/awards/fellowslist.cfm
- "IMS Fellows", Institute of Mathematical Statistics, accessed April 5, 2012 http://www.imstat.org/awards/honored_fellows.htm
- "INFORMS Fellows: Class of 2009", INFORMS online, accessed April 5, 2012 http://www.informs.org/Connect-with-People/Fellows/INFORMS-Fellows-Class-of-20092
- "Council of Academia Sinica", Academia Sinica, accessed 18 April 2012 http://academicians.sinica.edu.tw/03.php
- "NAE Members: Dr. Chien-Fu Jeff Wu", National Academy of Engineering, accessed, April 8, 2012 http://www.nae.edu/MembersSection/Directory20412/30848.aspx
- "Shewart Medalists", American Society for Quality, accessed April 8, 2012 http://asq.org/about-asq/awards/honors/shewhart.html
- "UW's convocation graduates 4,378 students, awards 10 honorary degrees", news release, University of Waterloo, accessed April 18, 2012 http://newsrelease.uwaterloo.ca/news.php?id=4973
- Wu, C. F. J. (1997). "Statistics = Data Science?" (PDF). Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "Identity of statistics in science examined". The University Records, 9 November 1997, The University of Michigan. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "P.C. Mahalanobis Memorial Lectures, 7th series". P.C. Mahalanobis Memorial Lectures, Indian Statistical Institute. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Building Statistical Methodology and Theory 2014". Mile, Yunnan, China. July 7–9, 2014.
- "UGA Statistics Bradley Lecture Series" (PDF).
- "Hirotugu Akaike Memorial Lecture".
- "Jeff Wu Receives 2017 Box Medal from ENBIS".