|Born||Charles Dean Metropoulos
May 1946 (age 71)
|Residence||Palm Beach, Florida, US|
|Alma mater||Babson College|
|Occupation||Chairman and CEO, C. Dean Metropoulos and Company|
|Known for||Hostess Brands and Pabst Brewing Company|
|Net worth||US$2.4 billion (Forbes 2016)|
|Children||Daren Metropoulos (son), Evan Metropoulos (son)|
Charles Dean Metropoulos (Greek: Ντιν Μητρόπουλος; born May 1946 in Tripoli) is an American billionaire investor and businessman of Greek descent. He was the owner of Pabst Brewing Company, which was founded by Jacob Best in 1844.
At age 25, he went to Geneva, Switzerland, to become a financial director for GTE International’s (now Verizon) European, Middle Eastern and African operations. Later he returned to the U.S. as the company’s youngest controller.
Some of the buy-build private equity transactions of Metropoulos have included Pinnacle Foods, Ghirardelli Chocolate Company, International Home Foods, Pabst Brewing Company, The Morningstar Group, Inc. (sold to Suiza Foods which has become Dean Foods) and Solar Marine ("a private, European based, international dry cargo shipping company") and Mumm's/Perrier-Jouët champagnes.
Metropoulos is the executive chairman and chief executive officer of C. Dean Metropoulos & Company. The company was founded in 1993 and is based in Greenwich, Connecticut. As of 2011, C. Dean Metropoulos & Co. has been involved in over 72 acquisitions with over $12 billion in invested capital. The company jointly owns Hostess Brands along with Apollo Global Management.
In September 2014 American entrepreneur Eugene Kashper, backed by TSG Consumer Partners, announced an agreement to acquire Pabst Brewing from C. Dean Metropoulos & Co for $700 million. The sale represented a gain of $550 million more than what the company paid for it in 2010. Bumble Bee Tuna is another brand owned by a company "bought and flipped" by the firm.
He lives in Palm Beach, Florida, with his wife Marianne, who in 2011 was President and Principal of Aegean Entertainment, a movie production company in Beverly Hills. They are parents of sons Evan and Daren. Daren, age 33 in early 2017 and a principal in C. Dean Metropoulos & Company, purchased the Playboy mansion for $100 million in 2016.
- "Billionaires: Charles Dean METROPOULOS". Wealth-X. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- Anastasios Papapostolou. "Metropoulos Sells Pabst Blue Ribbon to Russian Company". USA.GreekReporter.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "The World's Billionaires (2016 ranking): #722 C. Dean Metropoulos". Forbes. 1 March 2016. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- "AGs Urge Pabst to Lower Alcohol Content in Blast | NACS Online – Media – News Archive". Nacsonline.com. 2011-04-26. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Lipin, Steven, "Suiza Foods to Buy Morningstar Group", Wall Street Journal, September 29, 1997. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "A Vision for the Future of Business" (conference program), Hellenic News of America, February 14, 2014. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "HABA's 2011 Executive of the Year > Metropoulos", Hellenic American Bankers Association, June 9, 2011.
- "Company Overview of C. Dean Metropoulos & Co.", Businessweek, January 15, 2017
- Covert, James (20 September 2014). "Pabst not moving to Russia". New York Post.
- "Pabst Brewing: We Will Remain an American Company | CSP Daily News". Cspnet.com. 2014-09-23. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Leitereg, Neal J., "Daren Metropoulos takes ownership of Playboy Mansion, Hef included", Los Angeles Times, August 27, 2016. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Metropoulos & Co. | Hostess, Playboy Mansion, Daren Metropoulos". Darenmetropoulos.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Leitereg, Neal J., (2016-08-27). "Daren Metropoulos takes ownership of Playboy Mansion, Hef included". LA Times. Retrieved 2016-10-05.