C. G. Krishnadas Nair
C. G. Krishnadas Nair
|Born||17 September 1941|
Vaswik Research Award
Birla Gold Medal
National Aeronautical Prize
Dr Ambedkar Bharat Shree Award
Rashtriya Ratna Award
National Metallurgist Award
Omprakash Bhasin Award
IIM Platinum Award
Swadeshi Science Puraskara
Enterprise Excellence Award
Gold Cross Award
FIE Foundation Award
Chandrathil Gouri Krishnadas Nair is an Indian technocrat, teacher and metallurgical scientist known for his contributions in the field of aeronautical metallurgy. Dr Nair was given the Padma Shri Award by the Government of India for his contributions to science and technology in 2001.
C. G. Krishnadas Nair was born in Kerala on 17 August 1941. He had his early education in Kerala and continued his studies at IIT Madras to pass graduate degree in Metallurgical Engineering in 1964. He obtained master's degree in Mechanical Engineering in 1966 and earned PhD in 1968 from the University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
C. G. K. Nair started his career as an assistant professor in Regional Engineering College, Suratkal (present KNIT). Later, he worked as visiting faculty at University of Sheffield, UK when he quit teaching career to join Hindustan Aeronautics in the design and development department in 1971. Slowly he rose through the ranks to become the first professional engineer to become MD & Chairman of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited. Nair's efforts at HAL is said to have transformed the company into a globally competent aerospace industry through long term strategic plan with strong R&D, diversification, export, industry academy interaction and work culture based on ethics and teamwork.
Nair is also credited with efforts that led to the design and development of Advanced Light Helicopter, new Jet trainer and Light Armed Helicopter by HAL. He is considered as the influence behind the design of High Altitude Helicopter, Multi Role Transport Aircraft and many advanced aerospace equipments. In 1991, he founded the Society of Indian Aerospace Technologies and Industries (SIATI) to train and support small and medium enterprises to develop aerospace components indigenously. He served as AICTE-INAE Distinguished Visiting Professor at IIT Chennai for two terms after his retirement from HAL when he was appointed as the Vice Chancellor of MATS University. In 2008, he was invited by Government of Kerala to head Cochin International Airport Limited as the Managing Director. He served CIAL till 2011.
C. G. K. Nair has presented and published 193 scientific papers at various conferences at national and international levels. He has authored 20 books. He is the Chairperson of National Institute of Technology Calicut (NITC) since the end of his tenure at CIAL in 2011 and is also an independent Director at Global Vectra Helicorp.
- Chancellor of Jain University,Bangalore -India (CURRENT)
- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.
- Independent Director at Global Vectra Helicorp Limited since 4 May 2012
- Non-Executive Independent Director at Titan Industries Limited since 2 May 2002
- Member - Scientific Advisory Committee to the Cabinet of India
- Member - Enterprise Reform Committee to the Government of Kerala
- Chairman of the Society of Defence Technologists (SODET)
- President of the Society of Indian Aerospace Technologies
- Member of Governing Council of MVJ College of Engineering
- President of Aeronautical Society of India
- President of Indian Institute of Metals
- Vice-Chancellor of MATS University
- Managing Director, Cochin International Airport Limited
- Founder of International Institute for Aerospace Engineering & Management (IIAEM), Bangalore
- Chairman of National Institute of Technology Calicut
Awards and recognition
- Outstanding Aerospace Personality Award (2011) for the decade by Indian Aviation for outstanding contributions to the Indian Aerospace Industry
- Centenary of Aviation Award (2010) by Society of Aerospace Studies
- Rajiv Gandhi 60th Birth Anniversary Rastriya Ekta Samman (2008) for contribution to National prosperity, unity and achievements.
- Life Time Contributions and Achievement Award (2007) from Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE)
- IIM Platinum Award from Indian Institute of Metals (2004)
- National Metallurgist Award (2003) from the Indian Institute of Metals and Ministry of Steel and Mines
- Scope Award for Excellence in Public Sector Management for best Managed Public Sector (HAL) (2003)
- Scope Award for Best Chief Executive and PM’s Gold Plaque (2002) Department of Public Enterprises and Ministry of Industries by Vice-President of India
- Padmashri (2001) by the President of India
- Dr.Ambedkar Bharath Shree Award (2001) by Governor of Karnataka
- Gold Cross Award (International) (2001) by COMITE D’HONNEUR du MERITE ET DEVOUEMENT FRANCAIS, France.
- Rashtriya Ratna Award (2001) International Friendship Forum of India
- Swadeshi Science Puraskara (2000)
- National Award for R&D (1998)
- Hon. Fellow & Life Time Achievement Award from Aeronautical Society of India (1997)
- First Distinguished IIT Alumnus Award from IIT: Chennai (1996)
- Omprakash Bhasin Award in Space & Aerospace Application (1996)
- Hindustan Zinc Gold Medal (1993) by Indian Institute of Metals.
- Vasvik Research Award (1992) by Vibidhlaxi Audyogik Samshodhan Vikas Kendra
- FIE Foundation Award (1991) from FIE Foundation, awarded by the Prime Minister of India
- National Award for R&D (1991) by Department of Scientific & Industrial Research
- Indira Gandhi Memorial National Award (1990) for Excellent Chief Executive, by Central Public Sector Employees Federation, Hyderabad
- National Award for Best Employer of Physically Handicapped (1990) by President of India.
- National Energy Award (1990) by the Institute of Indian Foundry men
- National Aeronautical Prize (1990) from Aeronautical Society of India
- National Award for Best Employer of Physically Handicapped (1989) by President of India
- Birla Gold Medal (1988) from Indian Institute of Metals
- Ferroguard Award (1979) from Electro-Chemical Society of India
- Best Young Metallurgist Award (1975) from Ministry of Steel & Mines, Government of India.
- Fellow of Indian Institute of Metals
- Fellow of Institution of Engineers (India)
- Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering
- "Chandrathil Gouri Krishnadas Nair: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "Citation for Dr. C.G.K. Nair | Metallurgical and Materials Engineering". Archived from the original on 23 May 2014. Retrieved 23 May 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "SIATI | Home". www.siati.org. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "SIATI | Home". www.siati.org. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "Society of Indian Aerospace Technologies and Industries". Aeromag. Archived from the original on 23 May 2014. Retrieved 23 May 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Flight to Jeddah from city launched". The Hindu. 3 July 2009. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- Non-Destructive Test and Evaluation of Materials: J Prasad, C G K Nair: 9780070077461: Amazon.com: Books
- "Life Time Contribution Award in Engineering 2007" (PDF). Indian National Academy of Engineering. Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 March 2014. Retrieved 23 May 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Operation Smokeout in Kochi Airport". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "Top 5 and Best (Aerospace Engineering) College | JU-IIAEM". iiaem.jainuniversity.ac.in. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- Eswarahalli Sundararajan Dwarakadasa, Chandrathil Gouri Krishnadas Nair (2000). Advances in Composites. Foundation for Advanced Materials Education.
- J Prasad, C G K Nair (2008). Non-Destructive Test and Evaluation of Materials. McGraw-Hill Education (India). ISBN 978-0070077461.
- Gopal S. Upadhyaya (2011). Men of Metals and Materials: My Memoires. iUniverse. ISBN 9781462018437.