C. J. McCoy
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
Charles J. McCoy was an American college football and basketball coach. McCoy was the third head coach of the Florida Gators football team and the first head coach of the Florida Gators men's basketball team that represent the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida.
McCoy attended Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, where he played for the Miami Redskins football team from 1907 to 1910. He was a member of the 1908 Redskins team that outscored its opponents 113–10 while posting a 7–0 record, and was later the captain of the 1910 team during his senior year. McCoy also played baseball and basketball and ran track for Miami.
McCoy got his start as a football coach at the Sewanee Military Academy, a preparatory school affiliated with the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee. McCoy replaced George E. Pyle as the Florida Gators football coach and held that position for three seasons from 1914 to 1916, and compiled a 9–10 record at Florida. He also served as Florida's first basketball coach during the 1915–1916 season and accumulated a 5–1 record. As measured by his winning percentage (.833), McCoy remains the winningest coach in Gators basketball history. Florida did not field a basketball team for the 1916–1917 season.
Head coaching record
|Florida Gators (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association) (1914–1916)|
|Florida Gators (Independent) (1915–1916)|
- Florida Gators
- Florida Gators football, 1910–1919
- History of the University of Florida
- List of Miami University people
- Miami RedHawks
- University Athletic Association
- RedHawks Football 2009 Fan Guide, RedHawks History, Miami University Athletic Department, Oxford, Ohio, pp. 143, 175, 183 (2009). Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- Tom McEwen, The Gators: A Story of Florida Football, The Strode Publishers, Huntsville, Alabama, p. 57 (1974).
- College Football Data Warehouse, All-Time Coaching Records, Charles J. McCoy Records by Year. Retrieved February 23, 2009.
- 2012 Florida Football Media Guide Archived May 27, 2013, at the Wayback Machine., University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 107, 115, 116 (2012). Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- 2012 Florida Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville (2012).
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Fightin' Gators: A History of University of Florida Football, Arcadia Publishing, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (2000). ISBN 978-0-7385-0559-6.
- McEwen, Tom, The Gators: A Story of Florida Football, The Strode Publishers, Huntsville, Alabama (1974). ISBN 0-87397-025-X.
- Proctor, Samuel, & Wright Langley, Gator History: A Pictorial History of the University of Florida, South Star Publishing Company, Gainesville, Florida (1986). ISBN 0-938637-00-2.