C. J. Spillman
Spillman with the 49ers in 2013.
|No. -- Free agent|
|Position:||Safety / Special teamer|
|Date of birth:||May 6, 1986|
|Place of birth:||Louisville, Kentucky|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||199 lb (90 kg)|
|High school:||Louisville (KY) Central|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Claude Norman "C. J." Spillman, Jr. (born May 6, 1986) is an American football safety and special teamer who is currently incarcerated. He was signed by the San Diego Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 2009. He played college football at Marshall University.
Spillman attended Louisville Central High School. He played running back and defensive back while in high school. He was an all-state and all-conference selection in his last two years. He also lettered three years in track.
He became a starter at free safety as a sophomore (9 starts), finishing third on the team with 79 tackles. The next year he started 12 games, leading the team with 131 tackles (3rd overall in Conference USA and 12th in the nation), while receiving second-team All-Conference USA honors. As a senior, he played with shoulder and hand injuries, while registering 71 tackles (fourth on the team). He finished his college career with the most tackles (319) by a safety in school history.
San Diego Chargers
After going unselected in the 2009 NFL Draft, Spillman was as an undrafted free agent signed by the San Diego Chargers on April 27. He was waived on October 11, 2010, after struggling with his play on special teams.
San Francisco 49ers
The San Francisco 49ers claimed Spillman off waivers on October 12, 2010. He quickly established himself as a standout in the 49ers' special teams units registering 17 tackles after only playing in 11 games. In 2011, he led the team with 19 special teams tackles.
On March 6, 2012, he was signed to a $6 million three-year contract.
After playing mainly in goal-line defensive packages, during the 2012 and 2013 preseasons, he had a chance to earn the free safety starting job, but couldn't hold the position. In 2013, he led the team with 19 special teams tackles.
He was cut on August 30, 2014, because of salary cap reasons.
On August 31, 2014, Spillman was signed as a free agent by the Dallas Cowboys. On October 2, it was reported that he was under investigation for sexual assault. Although he had a slow start, by the end of the season he was a valuable contributor, finishing third on team with 10 special teams tackles and also saw more time on defense than expected, after backup safety Jeff Heath missed 2 games because of a thumb injury. In the playoffs, he raised his production, registering three tackles and two forced fumbles in two games. He wasn't re-signed at the end of the season.
On July 1, 2016, Spillman was sentenced to five years in jail after being convicted of sexual assault.
- "Marshall Thundering Herd Profile". herdzone.cstv.com.
- Spillman signs with Chargers
- Konz, Antoinette (January 30, 2013). "Former Central High Star C.J. Spillman to Play in Super Bowl for 49ers". USATodayHSS.com. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- Rosenthal, Gregg (October 12, 2010). "Niners edge Browns for C.J. Spillman". NBCSports.com. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- C.J. Spillman is finally getting what he has been pushing for – a chance to play safety
- "49ers sign C.J. Spillman to 3-year deal". ESPN.com. March 6, 2012. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- "Spillman agrees to deal with Cowboys". Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- Cardona, Clara (October 2, 2014). "New info in sexual assault inquiry involving Cowboys' C.J. Spillman details when offense occurred". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved October 2, 2014.
- "49ers connection to Drew Brees and Darren Sproles". San Francisco Gate. 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "Former Cowboys player C.J. Spillman gets 5 years for rape". Fox 4 News. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to C. J. Spillman.|