C. Leon King High School
|C. Leon King High School|
6815 N. 56th Street
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Land of the Lions|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|School number||2241 (for District use)|
|Color(s)||Red, white, and Columbia blue |
Lady Lions (girls sports)
C. Leon King High School is a Tampa, Florida public high school named in honor of C. Leon King, a member of the Hillsborough County Board of Public Instruction for 18 years. It opened in 1960 with 58 faculty members and 960 students. It is located at 6815 North 56th Street in Tampa, Florida 33610.
King High School is a traditional/hybrid magnet school. It has one of four International Baccalaureate programs in Hillsborough County, Florida. The IB program of King began in July 1994. Ninety eight percent of IB seniors earned the IB Diploma in 2014—one of the highest rates in the United States. For the 2010–2011 school year, King High School received an A grade in education overall. As of 2017[update], King high has been rated a "B".
Its student population was 1,889 in 2014–15 and the attendance rate was 92% in 2005.
King High School hosts an International Baccalaureate (IB) Program, which began in 1994. King High also offers advanced placement courses (KAPS).
The Student Government Association has a structure similar to the federal government system.
- Boys Golf
- Girls Golf
- Boys Cross Country
- Girls Cross Country
- Boys Basketball
- Girls Basketball
- Boys Soccer
- Girls Soccer
- Flag Football
King High School has multiple musical programs such as Chorus and Show Choir (PRIDE), a Marching Band (Marching Lions), Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, and a Concert Orchestra. King High School's Marching Band received Superior ratings at the annual FBA competition for 45 consecutive years and is often invited to perform in the State's band events. The show choir, PRIDE, is one of the top show choirs in the state. The dance team (Lionettes) have one of the most talented and culturally diverse teams in the county.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Henry Paul, musician formerly with the Outlaws
- Derek Bell, former professional baseball player
- Tim Crews, former professional baseball player
- Pam Bondi, 1984, Florida Attorney General
- Mike Awesome, 1984, former WWF Champion
- Pam Iorio, 1977, former Mayor of Tampa
- Gary Koch, 1970, former professional golfer and ESPN sportscaster
- Edmund Nelson, 1978, former professional football player, graduated in 1978
- Audrey O'Brien Nelson, 1973, director of VISN 8 at the James A. Haley Veterans Hospital and prominent research scientist
- George Peoples, 1978, former professional football player
- Calvin Pickering, 1995, former professional baseball player
- Eric Hayes, former NFL football player
- Ty Griffin, former professional baseball player
- Musa Abdul-Aleem, professional basketball player
- "KING HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 24, 2019.
- "The History of King High School". King High School. 2014-03-17. Archived from the original on 2015-07-13. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- "VA Sunshine Healthcare Network: Board of Directors". U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. 2009-11-10. Archived from the original on 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- Service, From the Partnership for Public (2009-08-10). "Audrey Nelson: On a Quest to Protect Health-Care Workers". ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2018-08-02.