C. Leon King High School
|C. Leon King High School|
|6815 N. 56th Street
Tampa, Florida 33610
United States of America
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Land of the Lions|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Number of students||1811|
|Color(s)||Red, white, and Columbia blue
Lady Lions (girls sports)
|School Number (for District use)||2241|
C. Leon King High School is a Tampa, Florida public high school named in honor of C. Leon King, a member of the Hillsborough County Board of Public Instruction for 18 years. It opened in 1960 with 58 faculty members and 960 students. It is located at 6815 North 56th Street in Tampa, Florida 33610.
King High School is a traditional/hybrid magnet school. It has one of the four International Baccalaureate programs in Hillsborough County, Florida. The IB program of King began in July 1994. Ninety percent of IB seniors earned the IB Diploma in 2004 - one of the highest rates in the United States. As of the 2010 - 2011 school year C. Leon King High School received an A grade in education overall.
Its student population is 1811 and the attendance rate in 2005 was 92%.
King High School hosts an International Baccalaureate (IB) Program, which was begun in 1994. King High also offers advanced placement courses (KAPS).
The Student Government Association has structures similar to the federal government system.
- Golf - boys
- Golf - girls
- Cross Country - boys
- Cross Country - girls
- Basketball - boys
- Basketball - girls
- Soccer - boys
- Soccer - girls
- Flag Football
King High School has multiple musical programs such as Chorus and Show Choir (PRIDE), a Marching Band (Marching Lions), Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, and a Concert Orchestra. King High School's Marching Band received Superior ratings at the annual FBA competition for 45 consecutive years and is often invited to perform in the State's band events. The show choir, PRIDE, is one of the top show choirs in the state. The dance team (Lionettes) have one of the most talented and culturally diverse teams in the county.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Henry Paul - musician formerly with the Outlaws
- Derek Bell - former professional baseball player
- Tim Crews - former professional baseball player
- Pam Bondi - Florida Attorney General, graduated in 1984
- Mike Awesome (Alfonso)- Former WWF Champion, graduated in 1984
- Pam Iorio - former Mayor of Tampa, graduated in 1977
- Gary Koch - former professional golfer and ESPN sportscaster, graduated in 1970
- Edmund Nelson - former professional football player, graduated in 1978
- Audrey O'Brien Nelson, Phd. - Director at VISN 8 James A. Haley Veterans Hospital, Prominent research scientist, graduated in 1973
- George Peoples - former professional football player, graduated in 1978
- Calvin Pickering - former professional baseball player, graduated in 1995 
- Eric Hayes - Former NFL football player
- Musa Abdul-Aleem - Professional Basketball Player