C. Lewis Hind
Charles Lewis Hind (1862–1927) was a British journalist, writer, editor, art critic, and art historian.
He served as the deputy editor of The Art Journal (1887–92) and the Pall Mall Budget. In 1893, he co-founded The Studio: An Illustrated Magazine of Fine and Applied Art. Three years later, Hind became the editor of The Academy and, after it merged with Literature, he continued with the editorship of The Academy and Literature, retiring in 1903. Hind then became a contributor to several magazines and newspapers including the Daily Chronicle, and wrote numerous articles on post-impressionism.
Eight colour photographic illustrations by Hind featured in Days with Velasquez (1906). His 1911 book The Post Impressionists was described by the Shirakaba group as "a most substantial book on the Post-Impressionists in English." After World War I, he compiled various anthologies and published several books on the art of landscape and continued with his art criticism. He interviewed Rockwell Kent on his Alaskan drawings in the June 1919 issue of International Studio.
- The Education of an Artist, 1906
- Days with Velasquez, 1906
- Turner's Golden Visions 1907
- The Diary of a Looker-on, 1908
- The Consolations of a Critic, 1911
- The Post Impressionists, 1911
- Art and I, 1921
- Authors and I, 1921
- More Authors and I, 1922
- Landscape Painting, 1924
- Naphtali : being influences and adventures while earning a living by writing, 1926
- "C. Lewis Hind". National Portrait Gallery, London. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "An Observer in Malay". The Academy (London, UK). Conrad First. 23 April 1898. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Vogeler, Martha S. (November 2008). Austin Harrison and the English Review. University of Missouri Press. p. 96. ISBN 978-0-8262-6668-2.
- Glendinning, Nigel; Macartney, Hilary (2010). Spanish Art in Britain and Ireland, 1750-1920: Studies in Reception in Memory of Enriqueta Harris Frankfort. Tamesis Books. p. 128. ISBN 978-1-85566-223-0.
- Kikuchi, Yuko (31 July 2004). Japanese Modernisation and Mingei Theory: Cultural Nationalism and Oriental Orientalism. Routledge. p. 11. ISBN 978-1-134-42955-4.
- Antliff, Allan (30 November 2007). Anarchist Modernism: Art, Politics, and the First American Avant-Garde. University of Chicago Press. p. 160. ISBN 978-0-226-02104-1.
- "Review: The Diary of a Looker-on by C. Lewis Hind". Literary Supplement to the Spectator. 100: 1009. 27 June 1908.