C. S. Seshadri
Conjeevaram Srirangachari Seshadri
February 29, 1932
|Known for||Seshadri constant|
standard monomial theory
|Awards||Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award, Padma Bhushan, Fellow of the Royal Society|
|Institutions||Chennai Mathematical Institute|
|Doctoral advisor||K. S. Chandrasekharan|
|Doctoral students||Vikraman Balaji, V. Lakshmibai|
C.S. Seshadri FRS (born 29 February 1932) is an eminent Indian mathematician. He is the founder and Director-Emeritus of the Chennai Mathematical Institute, and is known for his work in algebraic geometry. The Seshadri constant is named after him.
Degrees and posts
He received his B.A. (Hons) degree in Mathematics from Madras University in 1953 and was mentored by Fr. Racine and S Naryanan there. He completed his Ph.D. from Bombay University in 1958 under the supervision of K. S. Chandrasekharan. He was elected Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences in 1971.
Seshadri worked in the School of Mathematics at TIFR in Bombay from 1953 to 1984 starting as a Research Scholar and rising to a senior professor. From 1984 to 1989, he worked in IMSc in Chennai. From 1989 to 2010, he worked as the founding director of the Chennai Mathematical Institute. He stepped down from his Directorship of the Chennai Mathematical Institute in December 2010. He continues to be a part of CMI as "Director-Emeritus" from 1 January 2011.
- University of Paris, France
- Harvard University, Cambridge
- Brandeis University
- University of Bonn, Bonn
- Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
He has given talks at the ICM.
Awards and fellowships
- Honorary degree, Université Pierre et Marie Curie (UPMC), Paris, 2013
- Honoris Causa, University of Hyderabad, India
- Padma Bhushan
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award
- Srinivasa Ramanujan Medal from the Indian Academy of Sciences
- Honorary D.Sc. from Banaras Hindu University
- TWAS Science Award
- Fellow of IAS, INSA and a Fellow of the Royal Society
- Membership of the United States National Academy of Sciences
- Fellow of the American Mathematical Society, 2012
Seshadri's main work is in algebraic geometry. His work with M S Narasimhan on unitary vector bundles and the Narasimhan–Seshadri theorem has influenced the field. His work on Geometric Invariant Theory and on Schubert varieties, in particular his introduction of standard monomial theory, is widely recognized. Seshadri's contributions include the creation of the Chennai Mathematical Institute, an institute for the study of mathematics in India.
- Narasimhan, M. S.; Seshadri, C. S. (1965). "Stable and unitary vector bundles on a compact Riemann surface". Annals of Mathematics. The Annals of Mathematics, Vol. 82, No. 3. 82 (3): 540–567. doi:10.2307/1970710. JSTOR 1970710. MR 0184252.
- Seshadri, C. S. (2007), Introduction to the theory of standard monomials, Texts and Readings in Mathematics, 46, New Delhi: Hindustan Book Agency, ISBN 9788185931784, MR 2347272
- Seshadri, C. S. (2012), Collected papers of C. S. Seshadri. Volume 1. Vector bundles and invariant theory, New Delhi: Hindustan Book Agency, ISBN 9789380250175, MR 2905897
- Seshadri, C. S. (2012), Collected papers of C. S. Seshadri. Volume 2. Schubert geometry and representation theory., New Delhi: Hindustan Book Agency, ISBN 9789380250175, MR 2905898
- "C S Seshadri — A Glimpse of His Mathematical Personality" (PDF). Asia Pacific Mathematics Newsletter. 2: 17–21. 2012. Archived from the original on 10 December 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "C.S. Seshadri's official profile an Chennai Mathematical Institute".
- Padma Bushan, 2009
- "Prof. C S Seshadri to be conferred prestigious Rathindra Puraskar from Visva Bharrati". BUSINESSWIRE INDIA. 24 November 2008.
- RAMANI, HEMA IYER. "'Constant' Mathematician". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- C. S. Seshadri at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Information of the Indian Academy of Sciences "Fellow Profile of Prof. C.S. Seshadri".
- "TWAS, illycaffè announce 2006 Trieste Science Prize winners".
- O'Leary, Maureen. "72 New Members Chosen By Academy". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 22 September 2010.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "TWAS, Illycafe Announce Trieste Science Prize Winners".[permanent dead link]
- Seshadri, C. S; Lakshmibai, Venkatramani (2003). A tribute to C.S. Seshadri: a collection of articles on geometry and representation theory. Birkhäuser. ISBN 978-3-7643-0444-7.
- "From Proofs to Transcendence, via Theorems and Rāgas – C.S. Seshadri in Conversation". Bhāvanā. January 2018.
- Media related to Conjeevaram Srirangachari Seshadri at Wikimedia Commons