C. S. Venkiteswaran
Chittur Subramanian Venkiteswaran
|Born||Chittur Subramanian Venkiteswaran
23 May 1959 
Chalakudy, Thrissur Kerala, India
|Other names||Venkity, Babu|
|Education||Post Doctorate in Commerce and Management|
|Alma mater||Calicut University|
|Occupation||Documentary film director, Film Critic, professor|
|Years active||1970s – present|
|Known for||Film Criticism, Film Writing, Documentary Film-making, Book Reviewing|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Parent(s)||C.K. Subramaniam, T.V. Thylambal|
|Relatives||Balakrishnan C.S., Sangameshwaran C.S., Meenakshi C.S., Narayani C.S., Ananthalakshmi C.S., Raghavan Thirumulpad|
Venkiteswaran Chittur Subramanian (born 23 May 1956) is an Indian film critic, professor, documentary film maker and writer from Chalakudi, Kerala, India, who writes predominantly in English and Malayalam. He won the National Film Award for Best Film Critic in 2009.
He is known for his insightful analysis of the social aspects of cinema and their artistic fulfillment. His writings and reviews on film and media, in English and Malayalam has been published in journals such as Deep Focus, Film International, Cinema in India, Bhashaposhini, Pachakuthira, Indian Express, The Hindu, Mathrubhumi and Madhyamam. His column "Rumblestrip"(1999–2008) in Indian Express talked about film and the media scene in Kerala.
He published a book on filmmaker K R Mohanan Samanthara Yathrakal – K R Mohanante Cinema and with Lalit Mohan Joshi edited a book on filmmaker Adoor Gopalakrishnan, A Door to Adoor. Three books, containing Venkiteswaran's collection of articles that take a critical look at major trends and milestones in Malayalam cinema, were published by DC Books at the DC International Book Fair and Cultural Fest, 2011. The book Malayala Cinema Padanangal won a Special Jury Mention in the State film awards for the year 2011. He has interviewed film personalities including Adoor Gopalakrishnan, T.V. Chandran and Werner Herzog.
He is a documentary filmmaker and won the National Award for Best Arts/Cultural Film in 1995 along with M.R. Rajan for Pakarnattam – Ammannur, The Actor, the lyrical cinematic documentation of the life of Ammannur Madhava Chakyar, the exponent of the ancient classical Sanskrit theatrical artform of 'Koodiyattam'. This film won the Kerala State Award for the Best Documentary category in the same year. His article "Tea-shops In Mayalam Cinema" was included in the revamped Kerala SCERT Class X English textbook in 2011.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2014)|
- 2011: Kerala State Award – Special Jury Award for Best Book on Cinema – Malayala Cinema Padanangal.
- 2011: Kerala State Television Awards for Best Malayalam article on TV – Avatharippichu Nashtapeduthunna Varthakal in Mathrubhumi weekly.
- 2009: Best Film Critic (Swarna Kamal)
- 2005: Kerala State Film Award for Best Article on Cinema – "Mammootty enna Thaaram"(Malayalam)
- 2002: National Film Award – Special Jury Award / Special Mention for Film Criticism(English)
- 1995: National Film Award for Best Arts/Cultural Film (Rajat Kamal)- Pakarnnattam – Ammannur the actor, shared with M.R. Rajan
- 1995: Kerala State Film Award for Best Documentary – Pakarnnattam – Ammannur the actor, shared with M.R. Rajan
- Udalinte Tharasancharangal
- Malayala Cinema Padanangal (reviewed by B.R.P. Bhaskar)
- Cinema Talkies
- A Door to Adoor (Edited by Lalit Mohan Joshi & C.S. Venkiteswaran)
- Samanthara Yathrakal – K R Mohanante Cinema
- Pakarnattam: Ammannur, The Actor – Duration – 75 mins, Year – 1995. — Documentary on Ammannur Madhava Chakyar directed along with M.R.Rajan.
- Matha to Ma – Duration – 70 mins, Year – 2002. —Documentary on Mandakini Narayanan.
- Mega Narratives are Fantastic – Duration – 40 mins, Year – 2010.
---Documentary on Chintha Ravi.
- "Critical acclaim"
- "Profile - Faculty, GIFT"
- ""Is Another Cinema Possible?" - Talk by Dr. C.S Venkiteswaran"
- "Faculty - Gulati Institute of Finance and Taxation"
- "The Hindu: National award for film critic – 2009". Chennai, India. 17 September 2010.
- "Adoor: the man and the auteur"
- "Quest for ‘the pest'"
- "Critical acclaim"
- "A Door to Adoor"
- "After laurels, the works of a critic"
- "interview: adoor gopalakrishnan"
- "Encounters with the living dead"
- "STATE FILM AWARDS-1995"
- "Comprehensive revamp of Class X textbooks".
- "SCERT – Class X textbook Part 1" (PDF).
- "Signs Festival-Contact"
- "Official Catalogue of 60th National Film Awards"
- "2012 Kerala State Awards"
- "TV Awards announced, Apr 26, 2011"
- "57th National Film Awards"
- "The Hindu, July 24, 2005"
- "Times of India, July 26, 2002"
- "43rd National film Award for Best Arts/Cultural Film" (PDF).
- "Kerala films state awards - 1995".
- "Plea for professionalism, April 6, 2012"
- "Matha to Ma, the odyssey of a Naxalite"