C. Wilfred Griggs
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Charles Wilfred Griggs is a professor of ancient scripture at Brigham Young University.
Griggs currently holds the University Professorship of Ancient Studies at BYU. In addition to being a scholar of early Christian and Latter-day Saint history he is also an archeologist. In 1975–1976 he was part of a team doing excavations at the Nag Hammadi site in Egypt for UC Berkeley. In January–March 1981 he was the field director of the joint BYU and UC Berkeley excavation at Seila, Fayum, Egypt and he has been the head of BYU's Fayum excavation since 1982. Also in 1994 he was invited by the government of the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea to do excavations at Ancient Greek sites on the Crimea.
Among the books Griggs has written is Early Egyptian Christianity: From Its Origins to 451 C.E. (Brill, 2000). He has appeared in Operation Sethos: High Tech in the Tomb of the Pharaoh a TV mini-series and also in another TV episode about King Tut.
At BYU, Griggs has served as the director of ancient studies for the Religious Studies Center. He has also written several works on the Early Christian Church, mainly published in LDS-owned or -related periodicals. He has argued that Paul was married. This position has been attacked by Deirdre Good as being built around "adding to Paul's words";
In 1982 Griggs' article, "The Book of Mormon as an Ancient Book" was published in BYU Studies. He has also published in Coptic Studies and the Archaeological Textiles Newsletter. Some of his work has related to DNA issues in studying mummies and has been done in cooperation with Scott Woodward.
Griggs is the father of seven children.
- "C. Wilfred Griggs: "Paul and Marriage"". farms.byu.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- see second section article on Paul by Deidre Good, starting in second paragraph in that section
- "Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship". farms.byu.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- Griggs vita
- S. Kent Brown and C. Wilford Griggs, "The Messiah and the Manuscripts", Ensign, September 1974, p. 68
- Scientific Commons listing of works by Griggs
- IMDb entry for Griggs
- "C. Wilfred Griggs: used books, rare books and new books @ BookFinder.com". bookfinder.com. Retrieved 2016-04-03.