Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics
|الجهاز المركزى للتعبئة العامة والإحصاء|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Egypt|
Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics (CAPMAS) (Arabic: الجهاز المركزي للتعبئة العامة والإحصاء) is the official statistical agency of Egypt that collects, processes, analyzes, and disseminates statistical data and conducts the census.
CAPMAS was established by a Presidential Decree 2915 in 1964. It is the official provider of data, statistics, and reports.
CAPMAS functions support state planning, decision-making and policy assessment but it has been criticized for acting as an information regulator and for failing to provide access to researchers. Researchers must obtain a permit from CAPMAS prior to doing research in the country, but CAPMAS regularly denies these requests.
A Freedom of Information Act was being considered in 2013 by the Parliament of Egypt, to help ensure high level of transparency and disclosure in line with international best practices but some doubted it would pass and as of 2016, there is no such law for Egypt.
One of the more important findings, by the agency, has been the type of population growth occurring in Egypt. Since 2014, Major General Abu Bakr al-Gendy, the head of CAPMAS, has been saying that Egypt's population has been growing, for decades, at an unsustainable rate. He said the population grows at an alarming 1 million Egyptians every six months and called this type of growth "a virus" that must be addressed.
- "Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics of Egypt". knoema - World Data Atlas. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Plackett, Benjamin (November 14, 2016). "Social Scientists Work Amid Rising Suspicion". al-fanarmedia. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- El-Din, Mai Shams (August 1, 2013). "Egypt's information system is dysfunctional and politicized, say experts". Egypt Independent. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "World Statistics Day, 10/20/2015". World Statistics Day. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- ElSarawy, Mahmoud Mohamed. "Use of new technique to measure wellbeing index for North Africa countries in year 2012 (A Comparison study).pdf" (PDF). IARIW. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "IARIW Member Directory, Egypt". International Association for Research in Income and Wealth. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- El Masry, Sarah (June 26, 2013). "Egypt's right to information law". Daily News Egypt. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Wagih, Ahmed. "Population Growth in Egypt: More People, More Problems?". The Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Statement by CAPMAS Head in 2014". Youtube. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Egypt's overpopulation is a dangerous 'virus' that must be stopped: CAPMAS head". Egypt Independent. September 26, 2016. Retrieved 24 November 2016.