Screenshot of Arcserve UDP Console
|Initial release||February 1990|
|Stable release||Arcserve Unified Data Protection  / May 7, 2014|
|Available in||Japanese,English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese and Cantonese|
|License||Commercial proprietary software|
Arcserve is a provider of data protection, replication and recovery software for enterprises and small to medium businesses.
Arcserve first emerged in 1990 as Cheyenne Software. Software vendor CA Technologies, then known as Computer Associates, acquired Cheyenne in 1996 and continued to develop and market the Arcserve product under the same brand.
In August 2014, Arcserve became an independent company when Marlin Equity Partners acquired the business from CA Technologies. Today, Arcserve provides some of the largest independent software vendor (ISV) developed backup software products in the market, and supports a wide variety of platforms and applications. Arcserve Unified Data Protection is offered as fully integrated software, set-and-forget virtual or physical appliances, and the Arcserve(r) Cloud.
Arcserve was first developed and released by Cheyenne Software in February 1990 as a product used to back up other software programs and to ensure that data in the network could not be lost. The major function of the first release was to automatically copy all of the information in the system so that mishaps such as power failures and equipment malfunctions would not destroy or erase it. During the early nineties, Arcserve became Cheyenne's flagship product with massive growth in sales. Cheyenne brought out an improved version of its core program Arcserve in 1993 and began distribution through Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs).
During the mid-nineties, Cheyenne continued to release a series of new Arcserve products tailored specifically for different market segments such as Macintosh and Windows users. Software vendor CA Technologies, which was then known as Computer Associates, acquired Cheyenne in 1996 and continued to develop and market the Arcserve product under the same brand.
On August 1, 2014, Arcserve became an independent company when Marlin Equity Partners acquired the business from CA Technologies  Since that time, the company continues to experience tremendous growth and expand into new global markets. It expanded to Asia Pacific regions and was distributed by TriTech Distribution Limited in Hong Kong.
- "Cheyenne Software, Inc. - Company History". Fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- "Arcserve Unified Data Protection Launch Press Release Download". www.arcserve.com. 2013-02-28. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "From tape backup leader to data protection innovator - this is our story". arcserve.com. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- Kovar, Joseph F. (2009-11-30). "arcserve #2 ISV developed Backup Software". Crn.com. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- "Data protection software that's simple, unified, and enterprise-class? It exists.". arcserve.com. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- "FalconStor founder found dead". Theregister.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "History of Cheyenne". Answers.com. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- "CA Acquires Cheyenne". News.cnet.com. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- "Marlin Acquires arcserve". arcserve.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Arcserve Distributor In HK | Arcserve Hong Kong". www.ttdist.com. Retrieved 2015-12-09.