The CBC (better known in French as la Société Radio-Canada, or colloquially simply Radio-Canada) also operates two French language radio networks, each of which has a similar programming focus to one of the corporation's English-language radio networks. A third service was discontinued in 2013.
Structurally, the French-language radio operations are managed as part of the CBC's overall French-language services division, and therefore have limited ties to the English-language radio networks, which are structured similarly (i.e., there is no overall "CBC Radio" division responsible for both English and French radio).
- Ici Radio-Canada Première - News and information.
- Ici Musique - Music, arts and culture.
- Bande à part - Youth-oriented programming on Internet and Sirius, although some content continues to air as weekend programming on Espace musique. Discontinued in 2013.
In the Northwest Territories, the Yukon Territory, Nunavut, and northern Quebec, CBC North airs a modified Radio One schedule to accommodate programming in Native languages and Radio Nord Quebec, which airs a combined Radio One/La Première Chaîne schedule via shortwave mixed in with programming in native languages.
In some remote Canadian tourist areas, such as national or provincial parks, the CBC also operates a series of transmitters which broadcast weather alerts from Environment Canada's Weatheradio Canada service.
The CBC formerly operated Galaxie, a digital television radio service which provides 45 channels of music programming to digital cable subscribers in both English and French. This service is now operated by Stingray Digital.
CBC Radio in the news
Beginning in 2012, CBC Radio is losing some of its funding as a result of large cuts in Canadian government spending. This has resulted in a reduction of the number of concerts being recorded, the closing of recording studios and the laying off of technicians, as well as the introduction of four minutes per hour of advertising on CBC Radio 2 and Espace musique.
- "Industry News: CBC budget cuts mean fewer live recordings", Words and Music, Fall 2012
- "CRTC allows advertising on CBC Radio 2 and Espace Musique". Toronto Star, May 28, 2013.
- Nolan, Michael. Foundations: Alant Plaunt and the Early Days of C.B.C. Radio. Toronto, Ont.: C.B.C. Enterprises, 1986. ISBN 0-88794-217-2