CBH grain receival points
CBH grain receival points (also known as the bins or wheat bins in local popular usage) are grain silos spread around Western Australia, primarily in the wheatbelt region. Historically they have been linked with the wheatbelt railway lines, and the transport of grain to ports for export.
- 1 Beginnings
- 2 Deregulation and competition
- 3 Hierarchy
- 4 Geraldton Port zone
- 5 Kwinana Port zone
- 6 Albany Port zone
- 7 Esperance Port zone
- 8 Grain storage types
- 9 Grain receival points
- 10 Notes
Deregulation and competition
In 2012, the Australian federal government deregulated the grain market in Australia.
In the 1970s the 10 districts in the CBH system were known as "Directors" Districts.
By 2011, the Western Australian wheatbelt operations of CBH was split up into 12 management zone areas, with a set of locations in each zone with management offices, port terminals, and transfer depots identified.
Geraldton Port zone
- Geraldton as the main office, and Port Terminal
The primary receival sites for this zone are:
The secondary receival sites for this zone are:
The closed receival sites for this zone are:-
Historically, in this area there were also 1933 installation receival points at:
Kwinana Port zone
- Avon ( Northam )
Albany Port zone
- Albany office
Esperance Port zone
- Esperance office
- Esperance office
Grain storage types
Most grain receival points in the wheatbelt have combinations of historic structures that are still utilised, and new structures. Where the older structures tend to be next to, or aligned with the railway lines where they were built, many sites have extended grounds. As a consequence, identifying the types of silo/containers at some sites may uncover up to three or four different structures at the one location. Brookton for example has at least three different types present on the CBH property.
Grain receival points
Total numbers of receival points in the system from the founding in 1932 to 1999 - the peak number occurring in 1965-1967:
- 1932/33 5
- 1933/34 53
- 1936/37 103
- 1937/38 136
- 1938/39 174
- 1953/54 267
- 1954/55 271
- 1955/56 273
- 1956/57 278
- 1957/58 276
- 1965/66 305
- 1966/67 305
- 1967/68 305
- 1968/69 300
- 1969/70 300
- 1978/79 214
- 1979/80 212
- 1980/81 210
- 1981/82 206
- 1982/83 196
- 1994/95 196
- 1995/96 196
- 1996/97 197
- 1997/98 198
- 1998/99 198
- Trustees of the Wheat Pool of Western Australia (1932), Report to Trustees of the Wheat Pool of Western Australia on feasibility of bulk handling of wheat, the various types of storage bins considered, needed alterations to railway tracks, sidings etc proposed by Westralian Farmers Ltd, retrieved 29 March 2013
- WAGR Annual report 1932
- Aerial Surveys Australia; HRRC (1963), Aerial photographs of Morawa wheat bins, 30 Sept. 1963, retrieved 29 March 2013
- Aerial Surveys Australia; HRRC (1965), Aerial photographs of the wheat bins, Wagin, 23 March 1965, retrieved 29 March 2013
- Western Australia. Government Photographer (1900), Loading wheat into rail trucks from storage bins at Three Springs, retrieved 29 March 2013
- A. Vidot and B Varischetti (30 November 2012). "Greens amend wheat deregulation bill". Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- Owen Grieve (26 March 2013). "Second grain exporter moves to Albany port". Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Brad Thompson (10 November 2012). "Chinese giant to break WA grain grip". West Australian Newspapers Limited. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Second grain handler to operate out of Albany/4597434". Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Brad Thompson (27 March 2013). "Chinese in WA grain grab". West Australian Newspapers Limited. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Co-operative Bulk Handling Limited (1948), Annual report and accounts, Co-operative Bulk Handling Ltd, retrieved 31 March 2013 - 1933 was the year of the commencement of the CBH operations, the 1973 Annual Report and Accounts rear cover of the report identified 1933 Type Installations
- Co-operative Bulk Handling Limited (1976), Arrino - Yandanooka, Bowgada - Koolanooka, C.B.H, retrieved 19 April 2013
- page 175 Ayris, Cyril; Cooperative Bulk Handling Ltd (1999), A Heritage ingrained : a history of Co-operative Bulk Handling Ltd. 1933-2000, Co-operative Bulk Handling Ltd, ISBN 978-0-646-38283-8