|Broadcast area||National Capital Region
|Branding||Ici Radio-Canada Première|
|Frequency||90.7 MHz FM |
|First air date||August 1, 1964 (AM)
January 7, 1991 (FM)
|Format||news radio, various music|
|HAAT||323 meters (1,060 ft)|
|Former frequencies||1250 kHz (AM) (1964-1991)|
|Owner||Canadian Broadcasting Corporation|
|Website||Ici Radio-Canada Première|
Owned and operated by the (government-owned) Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (French: Société Radio-Canada), it broadcasts on 90.7 MHz with an effective radiated power of 84,000 watts (class C1) using an omnidirectional antenna located in Camp Fortune, Quebec.
The station signed on in 1964 on the AM band on 1250 kHz. Before then, Ottawa, despite its large francophone population, had no French-language radio outlet of its own; Radio-Canada instead relied on the 50,000-watt signal of Montreal's CBF to serve Ottawa's francophones. The station moved to the FM band on January 7, 1991. Its sister station, which used the CBOF-FM calls before that date, is now known as CBOX-FM.
CBOF-FM, like all Première stations but unlike most FM stations, broadcasts in mono. Briefly, CBOF, still as an AM station, experimented with AM stereo broadcasts between 1984 and 1987, testing all four AM stereo systems (C-QUAM, Kahn/Hazeltine, Harris and Magnavox) proposed at the time.
The station's current local programs are Les matins d'ici, in the mornings from 5:30 a.m. to 9 a.m., and Sur le vif in the afternoons, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Its Saturday morning local program is Les malins, heard from 7:00 a.m. to 11 a.m.
|City of license||Identifier||Frequency||RECNet||CRTC Decision|
|Maniwaki, Quebec||CBOF-1||990 AM||Query|
- The two AM repeaters in Rolphton, Ontario and Maniwaki, Quebec are the last two remaining CBOF repeaters that currently operate on the AM band. There's a possibility that these repeaters either may be shut down or relocate to the FM band in the future.
Former CBOF repeaters that have been silent since the 1980s and 1990s:
- Petawawa - CBOF-2 1240 AM
- Deep River - CBOF-3 730 AM
- Renfrew - CBOF-8 98.7 FM - This was a former FM repeater in Renfrew, Ontario that was deleted when CBOF-FM signed on in Ottawa in the early 1990s. The 98.7 FM frequency is now currently occupied by CJHR-FM in Renfrew, while the two former AM frequencies that were used by CBOF as repeaters in Petawawa and Deep River were never reactivated for any other future broadcasting.
- Ici Radio-Canada Première
- CBOF history - Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CBOF-FM