|Industry||Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity and Venture Capital|
|Founded||New York, NY - June 2008|
|Founders||Anand Sanwal, Jonathan Sherry|
|Revenue||$41 million (Est.)|
Number of employees
|250 (Est. 2020)|
CB Insights is a private company with a business analytics platform and global database that provides market intelligence on private companies and investor activities. The platform is targeted at private equity, venture capital, investment banking, angel investing, and consulting professionals by providing insights about high growth private companies.
CB Insights was founded on January 1, 2008, by Anand Sanwal, and Jonathan Sherry and is headquartered in New York. CB Insights uses a combination of big data tools and algorithms, as well as sentiment analysis on publicly available signals to gather and analyze data about private companies, investors, and industries.
The company has raised capital in three rounds of funding with the most recent one being $10 million in series A funding raised in 2015, led by the growth stage investment firm RSTP. The company had previously raised $1.15 million in grants from the National Science Foundation for its private company scoring software, called Mosaic.
Clients and Partners
Some of CB Insights clients include Cisco, Salesforce, Castrol, Gartner, as well as top-tier VCs including, NEA, Upfront Ventures, RRE, and FirstMark Capital. The company periodically partners with companies such as The New York Times Company, and Pricewaterhouse Coopers, to generate reports on the health of private companies, growth startups, and venture capital across industries.
- "CB Insights Competitors, Revenue and Employees". Owler. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- Lougen, Colleen (2017-10-02). "CB Insights". Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship. 22 (3–4): 247–250. doi:10.1080/08963568.2017.1372018. ISSN 0896-3568. S2CID 216139809.
- Shapiro, Zina. "Research Sources & Guides: Database Guide: CB Insights: Overview and How to Search". Stanford Graduate School of Business Library. Archived from the original on 2020-07-10. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- "Anand Sanwal is bringing love to finance data – Tearsheet". tearsheet.co. Archived from the original on 2020-07-08. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- Press, Gil. "CB Insights: Predicting Startup Unicorns And Mastering Big Data Analytics For Private Companies". Forbes. Archived from the original on 2020-07-09. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- Seave, Ava. "Predictive Analytics And Novel Visualization Draw Customers To 'Must Have' Data". Forbes. Archived from the original on 2016-12-21. Retrieved 2020-08-15.
- Weissman, Cale Guthrie (2016-06-29). "How Emailing "I Love You" Translated Into $1 Million In Data Analysis Revenue". Fast Company. Archived from the original on 2019-03-01. Retrieved 2020-08-15.
- "CB Insights raises $10M and launches a bot for making email introductions". VentureBeat. 2015-11-09. Archived from the original on 2020-07-11. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- "CB Insights Raises $10 Million in Series A Funding". TechCrunch. Archived from the original on 2020-09-01. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- "Linkedin - CB Insights". CB Insights. Archived from the original on 2018-12-20. Retrieved 2020-07-07.
- Tam, Pui-Wing (2017-03-27). "Tech Roundup: The World's Top Venture Capitalists". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Archived from the original on 2020-07-08. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers. "PwC MoneyTree Report". PwC. Archived from the original on 2020-07-18. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- "Crunchbase raises $30M more to double down on its ambition to be a 'LinkedIn for company data'". TechCrunch. Archived from the original on 2020-09-01. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- Torres, Alexander. "CB Insights acquires 27 years of private company data from Dow Jones to broaden its power to inform business customers". Business Insider. Archived from the original on 2020-07-17. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- "Our First Acquisition: CB Insights Acquires VentureSource Data from Dow Jones". CB Insights Research. Archived from the original on 2020-09-01. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- "CB Insights Expands Private Markets Coverage through VentureSource Acquisition". PE Stack. Archived from the original on 2020-09-01. Retrieved 2020-08-02.