Founded by Anurag Khemka  in 1997 in Mountain View, California, MarketFirst Software was acquired by Pivotal Corporation in 2002, itself later acquired by CDC Software (then called chinadotcom). MarketFirst Software’s core product was MarketFirst, a marketing automation and lead management tool that complemented the rest of the Pivotal CRM (customer relationship management) suite.
CDC MarketFirst is a marketing automation and lead management software system. The suite gives companies the ability to segment their databases and profile contacts, then program and launch electronic marketing campaigns to communicate with target audiences. Content within these communications (which can be delivered by e-mail, SMS, fax, etc.) can be personalized based on available database information. CDC MarketFirst also enables users to capture leads from these marketing campaigns by tracking click-throughs and directing message recipients to registration pages. The system can also be used to manage event registrations, nurture leads, and develop event-triggered campaigns. Its visual campaign design tools allow for the development of complex automated campaigns — for example, to send one kind of automated follow-up message based on the recipient’s response to a prior campaign.
The product’s capabilities include:
- Segmentation and profiling
- E-mail streams
- Lead generation
- Event marketing
- Literature fulfillment
- Lead scoring and nurturing
- Map analytics
A 2007 analysis by Forrester Research of the CDC MarketFirst implementation at Sharp Electronics determined that the company was able to increase the number of qualified leads tenfold, reduce cost per lead by 85%, and cut advertising costs by 28% using CDC MarketFirst. CDC Software reported that Sharp had saved more than $1.6 million in operating costs through its use of CDC MarketFirst.
Customers include companies such as Harvey Nichols, the UK-based luxury retailer; Softrax Corporation, a provider of enterprise billing and revenue management solutions; online job website Careerbuilder; and luxury home builder Toll Brothers, among others.
- Anurag Khemka at LinkedIn
- Internet alchemy 26 May 1999, Forbes
- Pivotal to Acquire MarketFirst; Warns of Losses 3 October 2002, DestinationCRM.com
- Chinadotcom completes Pivotal acquisition 1 March 2004, Computer Weekly
- Pivotal Addresses Product Gap 4 October 2002, InformationWeek
- CDC MarketFirst Retrieved 31 March 2010
- CDC MarketFirst website Retrieved 20 November 2009
- CDC MarketFirst Map Analytics Retrieved 20 November 2009 Linxoft Solutions
- The CDC MarketFirst Advantage Retrieved 20 November 2009
- Campaign Automation 1 August 2007, Database Marketing
- Five Ways Large Enterprises Take Advantage of CRM Solutions Retrieved 20 November 2009, Vendor Guru
- Sharp Electronics Saves More Than $1.6 Million in Operating Costs With Pivotal Marketfirst Applications From CDC Software 21 February 2007, CustomerThink
- Harvey Nichols has ab fab integrated CRM and analysis solutions 26 November 2007, Computer Weekly
- Softrax Dramatically Increases Marketing Campaign Responses and Revenue with CDC Software's Pivotal MarketFirst Retrieved 20 November 2009, CRM2Day Archived June 8, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- CDC MarketFirst Customers List Retrieved 20 November 2009