China Europe International Business School
|Motto||中国深度 全球广度 (simplified Chinese)|
Motto in English
|China Depth, Global Breadth|
|President||Li Mingjun, Dipak C. Jain|
|Affiliations||Shanghai Jiao Tong University |
Ministry of Foreign Trade
Established under an agreement between the Chinese government and the European Commission in Shanghai in November 1994, CEIBS was the first business school in mainland China to offer a full-time MBA, an Executive MBA and a wide range of Executive Education programmes. MBA and EMBA programmes are ranked in the world's Top 10 by the Financial Times. In 2012, CEIBS began offering a part-time MBA in Finance. By the end of December 2017, CEIBS had more than 20,000 alumni across the world, and had provided management training for over 130,000 executives.
The school's predecessor, the China-EC Management Institute (CEMI), was launched in Beijing in 1984. After CEIBS was formally established in 1994 in collaboration with its partners European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) and Shanghai Jiao Tong University, it later moved to Minhang in Shanghai. Although located in Asia, CEIBS follows the European model of a business school Today, CEIBS has its main campus in Shanghai's Pudong district. It also has campuses in Beijing, Shenzhen, Zurich and Accra, Ghana. CEIBS’ Zurich Campus was established in 2015, with the purchase of the Lorange Institute of Business. It now operates as the Zurich Institute of Business Education, and is the school’s base in Europe.
CEIBS has developed one of the top MBA programmes in Asia and it is ranked 8 in the world, according to the Financial Times (2018 edition). In 2009, CEIBS became the first Chinese business school to make the world's Top 10 MBA ranking compiled by the FT. Its EMBA programme, ranked 5th worldwide by the same publication in 2018, is the largest in the world, topping 700 students in Shanghai, Beijing, and Shenzhen. The school also trains about 10,000 students through CEIBS’ short-term executive programs each year.
Establishing its first campus in 1994 in Shanghai’s Pudong district made CEIBS the first business school in mainland China with its own campus, designed by Henry N. Cobb and Ian Bader of Pei Cobb Freed & Partners. In 2011, CEIBS began the 18-month construction of Phase 3 of the Shanghai Campus which doubled its size to 7.5 million square meters.
CEIBS opened its Beijing campus on April 24, 2010, within Beijing’s Zhongguangcun Software Park alongside the research centres of IBM, Oracle, Neusoft and more than 200 other leading technology companies. It effectively doubled the school’s total number of classroom seats.
Designed by the Spanish architectural firm IDOM, the Beijing campus hosts CEIBS EMBA programme and executive education courses. Each year, the CEIBS Beijing campus graduates almost 300 EMBA students and nearly 3,000 executive education participants. The campus is also a central meeting point for CEIBS alumni as Beijing is home to CEIBS’ second-largest alumni chapter (after Shanghai).
In May 2009 CEIBS started an EMBA programme in Ghana, being the first Asian business school to do so in Africa. CEIBS was also the first Asian business school, and one of the very few around the globe, to become carbon neutral in 2011.
It was announced in November 2015 that CEIBS had acquired the Lorange Institute of Business of Zurich for 16.5 million francs, with plans to train over 200 Chinese managers per month.
Today the new entity, Zurich Institute of Business Education, offers one cohort of the prestigious CEIBS Global EMBA along with serving as the base for various study tours and shorter term executive education courses.
80% of the non-Chinese students who graduate from China Europe International Business School establish residence and work in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Finance MBA (Part-time)
- MBA/Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy (Coordinated with Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University)
- MBA/Master of Public Health (Coordinated with Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health)
- MBA/Master of Management in Hospitality (Coordinated with Cornell University School of Hotel Administration)
- Executive MBA (taught in Mandarin)
- Global Executive MBA Shanghai cohort (taught in English)
- Class meets 4 days every month for 20 months, starting October every year
- Most courses are delivered in Shanghai; there is also 1 module in Europe, 1 module in the U.S., and at least 2 global electives
- Global Executive MBA Zurich cohort (taught in English)
- Class meets 8 days every 2 month for 18 months, starting September every year
- Most courses are delivered in Zurich; there is also 1 module in Accra and 1 module in Shanghai and at least 2 global electives
- Executive Education
- PhD in Management (Coordinated with Shanghai Jiaotong University)
Rankings and statistics
CEIBS MBA Programme:
- #1 in Asia, #8 globally full-time MBA Programme (2018): Financial Times
- #1 in Asia, #3 globally among 2-year programmes outside the US, 2017: Forbes Magazine
- #1 in China 2011, 2007 & 2006 (3 consecutive surveys): Bloomberg Businessweek China
- #1 "Most Valuable Full-time MBA Programme in China" (for five consecutive surveys in 2005-2007, 2010, 2012): Forbes China
- #26 full-time MBA in the world (2017): Bloomberg Businessweek
- "Best Business School in China" (2011, 2010, 2009): Eduniversal (award chosen by 1,000 international b-school deans)
- #9 among "Top B-schools in Asia/Australasia" (2011) QS Top MBA
- #15 among Best International Schools - Poets & Quants 2016
CEIBS Global EMBA Programme:
- Top 20 Globally for 9 Consecutive Years (2010-2018), #5 worldwide and highest ranked stand-alone programme in 2018: Financial Times
Admission to the MBA programme
- Average GMAT: 692
- Average years of work experience: 5.3
- Average age: 29
- Applicants per Year: 680
- Class size: Around 180
- International student percentage: 30%-40%
- Female percentage: Around 40%
- Scholarships available: 70+
- Course length (months): 18 or 12 (options)
- Employed Graduates % (after 6 months): 99
- Salary increase percentage: 109%
- Average GMAT: around 680-690
- Course Fee: RMB 408,000, Approx. USD 61,000
- Application Deadline: Three rounds: November, January and March
- Commencement: Early August
- Accredited: AACSB EQUIS
- Cost per Application: USD 180
- Average age: 29-30
- Average years in work: 5-6
- Number of nationalities: 20-30
Applicants with a bachelor's degree (or equivalent), minimum two years’ work experience, a valid GMAT, GRE or CEIBS admissions test score and proficiency in English can apply online and are required to submit the following materials:
- Two letters of recommendation
- Copy of degree and GMAT, GRE or CEIBS admissions test certificate
- Application fee
- Completed application including two essay questions
GLOBAL EMBA APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Undergraduate university degree or above.
- 10 years' work experience with 7 years in managerial positions. (You are welcome to contact us for an assessment of your experience.)
- Strong command of both written and spoken English.
- A highly committed organisation that allows you two working days off each month to attend classes; financial sponsorship not obligatory.
Faculty and staff
Complete list of CEIBS’ full-time faculty at http://www.ceibs.edu/faculty-profiles
|Li Mingjun||President (March 2015 – present)|
|Dipak C. Jain||President (European) September 2018 – present|
|Ding Yuan||Vice President & Dean, Professor of Accounting, Cathay Capital Chair in Accounting|
|Zhang Weijiong||Vice President and Co-Dean, Professor of Strategy, Member of the Academic Council|
|Pedro Nueno||Honorary President (European) 2018 – present|
|Romano Prodi||Board Member, former Prime Minister of Italy and President of the European Commission|
|Wu Jinglian||Honorary Professor, one of the preeminent economists of the People's Republic of China|
|Xu Xiaonian||Professor of Economics and Finance, named by Businessweek as one of China's Most Powerful People in 2009|
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Chen Hao, Governor of Yunnan province
- Huang Nubo, Chairman, Beijing Zhongkun Investment Group
- Lan Yu, fashion designer
- Liu Qiangdong, Founder and President, JD.com
- Yang Lan, Co-founder, Sun TV
-  Andreas Kaplan, 2018, A school is “a building that has four walls…with tomorrow inside”: Toward the reinvention of the business school, Business Horizons
-  - Financial Times. Retrieved on January 26, 2015.
- CEIBS MBA Profile - Financial Times. Retrieved on December 2, 2011.
- Global EMBA Rankings 2018 - Financial Times. Retrieved on October 16, 2017.
- CEIBS EMBA Africa Program - Financial Times. Retrieved on June 12, 2012.
- CEIBS Becomes 1st Business School in Asia to Achieve “Carbon Neutral” Status - BusinessBecause. Retrieved on June 12, 2012.
- "Chinese acquire private Zurich business school". 9 November 2015.
- The Business School Building Boom: How Do MBAs Rate Their Facilities? Business Because, Seb Murray, 27 Jan 2014
- China's Most Powerful People 2009 - Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved on December 2, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to China Europe International Business School.|
- Official website (English version)
- Official website (Chinese version)
- China Europe International Business School - Pei Cobb Freed & Partners