CFBDSIR 2149-0403

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
CFBDSIR J214947.2-040308.9
Free-floating planet CFBDSIR J214947.2-040308.9.jpg
The small dim blue dot in the center of this image (click to enlarge) is captured by the SOFI instrument on ESO's New Technology Telescope at the La Silla Observatory and shows the free-floating planet CFBDSIR J214947.2-040308.9, in infrared light.
Discovery[1]
CFBDSIR wide field survey
Physical characteristics
Mass 4–7 Jupiter masses
Temperature ~700 K
Spectral type
T7

CFBDSIR 2149-0403 (full designation CFBDSIR J214947.2-040308.9) is a free-floating planetary-mass object (87% likelihood) or low-mass brown dwarf (13% likelihood),[2] likely part of the AB Doradus moving group (ABDMG) as indicated by its position and proper motion.[1][2] There is insufficient evidence to demonstrate that CFBDSIR 2149-0403 formed as a planet and was subsequently ejected. Objects with masses similar to that of CFBDSIR 2149-0403 are predicted to form from the fragmentation of molecular cloud cores like stars do.[3] Although there have been candidates for objects like this reported before, it is the first such object with a spectroscopically confirmed low age and an upper limit on its estimated mass below 13 Jupiter masses. It must be noted that the estimation of its mass rely on its suspected membership in AB Doradus (which provides a distance and an age), as well as on the current generation of brown dwarfs evolutionary models. It is thus by no means a direct mass measurement.

Discovery[edit]

CFBDSIR 2149-0403 was discovered by the Canada-France Brown Dwarfs Survey, a near infrared sky survey, and confirmed by WISE data.[1] Philippe Delorme, of the Institute of Planetology and Astrophysics of Grenoble in France and his team, including researchers at Université de Montréal in Canada, detected CFBDSIR2149's infrared signature using the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope, then examined the body's properties with the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope in Chile.

Distance[edit]

If this object is actually a rogue planet (which has not been decisively demonstrated), then it is among the closest that has ever been spotted.[4] If the object belongs to the ABDMG then its distance is estimated to be 40±4 parsecs (130±13 light years) from Earth; other possible estimates range from 25 to 50 parsecs.[1] A possibly closer candidate is PSO J318.5-22.[5]

Age[edit]

In the discovery paper, CFBDSIR 2149-0403 was claimed to possibly be a kinematic member of the AB Doradus Moving Group. The AB Doradus Moving Group appears to be similar in age to the Pleiades,[6] which has a lithium-depletion boundary age of 130±20 Myr.[7] If CFBDSIR2149 is indeed associated with the AB Doradus Moving Group—which it is with 90 percent probability—then it is similarly young. It also shows signs of low gravity (brighter K band in the near-infrared), which is attributable to youth.

Atmosphere[edit]

This video shows an artist's impression of the free-floating planet CFBDSIR J214947.2-040308.9.

Spectroscopy observations have found absorption by gaseous methane and water.[1]

See also[edit]

  • GU Piscium b exoplanet orbiting GU Piscium at a distance of 2000 AU and period of 163,000 years in the AB Doradus moving group .

Further reading[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b c d e Delorme, Philippe; Gagné, Jonathan; Malo, Lison; Reylé, Céline; Artigau, Étienne; Albert, Loïc; Forveille, Thierry; Delfosse, Xavier; Allard, France; Homeier, Derek (December 2012). "CFBDSIR2149-0403: a 4-7 Jupiter-mass free-floating planet in the young moving group AB Doradus ?". Astronomy & Astrophysics 548: A26. arXiv:1210.0305. Bibcode:2012A&A...548A..26D. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201219984. 
  2. ^ a b "'Rogue planet' spotted 100 light-years away". Science & Environment. BBC News. 14 November 2012. Retrieved 14 November 2012. 
  3. ^ Bate, Matthew R.; Bonnell, Ian A.; Bromm, Volker (2003). "The formation of a star cluster: predicting the properties of stars and brown dwarfs". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 339 (3): 577–599. arXiv:astro-ph/0212380. Bibcode:2003MNRAS.339..577B. doi:10.1046/j.1365-8711.2003.06210.x. 
  4. ^ "Astronomers find 'homeless' planet wandering through space". Phys.org. 14 November 2012. Retrieved 14 November 2012. 
  5. ^ Liu, Michael C.; Magnier, Eugene A.; Deacon, Niall R.; Allers, Katelyn N.; Dupuy, Trent J.; Kotson, Michael C.; Aller, Kimberly M.; Burgett, W. S.; Chambers, K. C.; Draper, P. W.; Hodapp, K. W.; Jedicke, R.; Kudritzki, R.-P.; Metcalfe, N.; Morgan, J. S.; Kaiser, N.; Price, P. A.; Tonry, J. L.; Wainscoat, R. J. (2013-10-01). "The Extremely Red, Young L Dwarf PSO J318-22: A Free-Floating Planetary-Mass Analog to Directly Imaged Young Gas-Giant Planets". Astrophysical Journal Letters 777 (2). arXiv:1310.0457. Bibcode:2013ApJ...777L..20L. doi:10.1088/2041-8205/777/2/L20. 
  6. ^ Luhman, K.L.; Stauffer, J.R; Mamajek, E.E. (2005). "The Age of AB Doradus". Astrophysical Journal 628 (1): L69–L72. arXiv:astro-ph/0510665. Bibcode:2005ApJ...628L..69L. doi:10.1086/432617. 
  7. ^ Barrado y Navascues, David; Stauffer, John R; Jayawardhana, Ray (2004). "Spectroscopy of Very Low Mass Stars and Brown Dwarfs in IC 2391: Lithium Depletion and Hα Emission". Astrophysical Journal 614 (1): 386–397. arXiv:astro-ph/0406436. Bibcode:2004ApJ...614..386B. doi:10.1086/423485.