|First air date||January 1, 2007|
|HAAT||342.2 meters (1,123 ft)|
CFEX-FM is an alternative rock station serving Calgary, Alberta, Canada. CFEX's studios are located on 17th Avenue Southwest in Calgary, while its transmitter is located on Old Banff Coach Road in western Calgary.
In 2006, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) approved a licence for Harvard Broadcasting to start a FM station.As of Fall 2014, CFEX is ranked #13 in the Calgary market ratings.
X92.9 went on the air January 1, 2007 at midnight with a live to air performance with Hot Hot Heat. The on-air lineup debuted one week later on January 8. The station is also home to a "No Nickelback Guarantee". The station's slogan is "Calgary's Alternative".
X92.9 has a streetside studio at the corner of 17th Avenue and 2nd Street in SW Calgary in an area known as The Red Mile. Listeners can watch the DJs and assorted guests through very large windows.
X92.9 occasionally hosts Takeovers where a band will perform for listeners and on air plus play the songs they want to hear on the radio station. Some of the artists who've done X Sessions include Queens of the Stone Age, Silversun Pickups, The New Pornographers, Taking Back Sunday, Strata, Attack in Black, Tegan and Sara, Tokyo Police Club, Wintersleep, Our Lady Peace, Arkells and Ill Scarlett.
On December 21, 2012, in honour of the alleged Mayan apocalypse, CFEX stunted by playing R.E.M.'s song "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" all day long, interspersed with "Get to Know a Mayan" and "Apocalypse Survival Tips" segments.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2006-321, Alternative Rock FM radio station in Calgary, CRTC, August 2, 2006
- Fall 2014 Calgary Numeris Ratings
- Farquharson, Vanessa (2009-02-05). "Debate over Nickelback rages on". Regina Leader-Post. Retrieved 2009-02-15.[dead link]
- "Calgary Radio Station X92.9 Plays 'It's The End Of The World' By R.E.M. All Day To Mark Mayan Calendar". Huffington Post. AOL. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- Official website
- CFEX-FM history - Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CFEX-FM