|Slogan||Mon univers musical|
|Frequency||104.5 MHz (FM)|
|First air date||
October 26, 1953 (AM) |
October 13, 2010 (FM)
|Sister stations||CHRL-FM, CHVD-FM, CKXO-FM, CKYK-FM|
Owned and operated by RNC Media, it broadcasts on 104.5 MHz with an effective radiated power of 20,000 watts, using an omnidirectional antenna (class B); it was previously heard on the AM band, on 1270 kHz, with a daytime power of 10,000 watts and a nighttime power of 5,000 watts as a class B station, using a directional antenna with slightly different daytime and nighttime directional patterns in order to protect various other stations on that frequency.
CFGT was founded by Lionel Morin  and went on the air on October 26, 1953, by Radio Lac St-Jean Ltée. The station initially had a power of 1,000 watts; it was authorized to increase its power in 1974. CFGT had to close for extended periods in 1982 and 1994 due to financial problems.
AM to FM
An application to convert to the FM band on 97.7 MHz with an effective radiated power of 50,000 watts was denied once again on September 11, 2008.
On March 25, 2009, CFGT has yet again applied to convert to the FM dial, again at 97.7 MHz with an effective radiated power of 50,000 watts, which finally received CRTC approval on August 20, 2009. On March 3, 2010, the station received approval to use the 104.5 MHz frequency, instead of 97.7 MHz.
On October 13, 2010, at 6:00 a.m. EDT, CFGT made the move to the FM band on 104.5 MHz as CFGT-FM Planète 104,5. After the move to FM, CFGT abandoned most of its talk programming, which, at that point was mostly networked from Corus Québec, adopting a full-time adult contemporary format.
Only three days later, on October 16, 2010, the old AM 1270 CFGT signal left the air, opting not to use the entire 90-day simulcast period.
- Pierre Boivin - Média nostalgie
- CFGT history at Canadian Communications Foundation - Fondation Des Communications Canadiennes]
- STATIONS DE RADIO DU QUÉBEC
- Decision CRTC 93-6
- Broadcasting Decisions CRTC 2007-95
- Broadcasting Notice of Public Hearing CRTC 2008-6 (May 9, 2008)
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2008-253
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009-507
- Broadcasting Decision 2010-126
- Our CANADA news begins with still more silent AMs, Scott Fybush/North East Radio Watch, 2010-11-08
- Planète 104,5
- CFGT-FM history – Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CFGT-FM