|Terrace/Kitimat, British Columbia
|Channels||Analog: 3 (VHF)
Digital: allocated 35 (UHF)
|Translators||6 CFTK-TV-1 Prince Rupert|
(will switch to CTV Two on February 22, 2016, pending regulatory approval)
(Bell Media Radio G.P.)
|First air date||November 1, 1962|
|Sister station(s)||CIVT-DT, CIVI-DT, CJDC-TV|
|Transmitter power||CFTK-TV: 13.8 kW
CFTK-TV-1: 2.44 kW
|Height||CFTK-TV: 453.5 m
CFTK-TV-1: 593.8 m
CFTK-TV is a privately owned television station affiliated with CBC Television in Terrace, British Columbia, Canada. It broadcasts an analogue signal on VHF channel 3 from a transmitter on Thornhill Mountain near Terrace and also rebroadcasts in Prince Rupert on VHF channel 6.
Owned by Bell Media, it is part of the Great West Television system, and has its studios located on Lazelle Avenue in Terrace. This station can also be seen on Citywest Cable channel 7, Shaw Direct channel 324 and Bell TV channel 257.
The station was originally part of a two-station "sub-network" called Northern Television (NTV) since the early 1990s, until 2002, when it was disbanded and re-launched as Great West Television (joined by CKPG-TV). NTV and GWTV's programming consisted of mainly American shows imported and aired on CHUM Limited's NewNet/A-Channel stations, mixed with CBC's own programming.
Great West Television largely ceased to exist in October 2006. With CBC Television going to a 24-hour schedule beginning in October 2006, CFTK-TV has increased the amount of CBC programming in its schedule. This, in effect, has made CFTK-TV a semi-satellite of Vancouver's CBUT.
Astral Media acquired CFTK in the fall of 2007 as part of its acquisition of most of Standard Broadcasting's assets.
On March 16, 2012, it was announced Bell Canada would be acquiring Astral Media for $3.38 billion. However, the deal was rejected by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) that fall. Bell submitted a revised takeover proposal in 2013, in which it would sell off a number of assets but keep CFTK. Bell has committed to maintaining the station's current conditions of license, including CBC affiliation, until the end of its license term in 2017. Bell owns two networks of its own, CTV and CTV Two, which compete with CBC. The deal was approved by the Competition Bureau in March 2013, and by the CRTC in June 2013.
On October 28, 2015, the CRTC made public an application by Bell to disaffiliate CFTK from CBC Television effective February 22, 2016, at which point the station is scheduled to begin airing programming from Bell's CTV Two system. Bell and the CBC agreed to an early termination of CFTK's affiliation agreement on October 5. Any TV service providers serving the region and not already carrying a CBC Television owned-and-operated station such as CBUT-DT Vancouver on their basic services will have to add one by the disaffiliation date in order to comply with CRTC regulations.
CFTK newscasts are one hour and air at 6 and 11 p.m. weekdays. A 30-minute news recap called Week in Review airs on weekends.
CFTK also produces Open Connection, a weekday talk show hosted by Robert Pictou, seen weeknights at 7 p.m. and repeated the following day at 9:30 a.m.
- ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2002-91
- ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-359
- BREAKING NEWS -- Astral Enters Agreement to Be Acquired by Bell
- "CRTC kills BCE-Astral merger deal". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Supplementary Brief of BCE Inc. and Astral Media Inc.
- BCE takeover of Astral OK’d by Competition Bureau, The Montreal Gazette (via The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- "CRTC approves Bell/Astral deal with conditions". Toronto Star. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "CRTC approves Bell-Astral merger". CBC. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- Bell Media Radio G.P. (2015-10-28). "CRTC Application 2015-1227-8" (ZIP). Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "Broadcast Distribution Regulations (ss. 17(d) and 17(f))". Justice Laws Website. Department of Justice (Canada). 2014-02-28. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- Canadian Communications Foundation - CFTK-TV History
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CFTK-TV
- Query TV Fool's coverage map for CFTK