|Channels||Analog: Formerly 6 (VHF)|
|Slogan||Canada Lives Here|
|Owner||Canadian Broadcasting Corporation|
First air date
|November 26, 1968|
Last air date
|July 31, 2012|
Call sign meaning
|Canada's Finest WhiteHorse|
|Translator(s)||Five rebroadcasters throughout the Yukon|
CFWH-TV was the television call sign for the CBC's television station in Whitehorse, Yukon. Commencing transmissions on 26 November 1968, it was one of ultimately six Frontier Coverage Package stations in the Yukon; satellite delivery of colour television began on February 5, 1973. It was a part of the CBC North television system.
During its life, CFWH-TV was always licensed as a repeater. For most of its existence, this station was part of a "radiocommunication distribution undertaking" that included CFYK-TV in Yellowknife and CFFB-TV in Iqaluit. The CRTC did not license it as a television station, but merely as a transmitter to redistribute CBC North. In 2011, CFYK-TV was licensed as a full television station, with CFWH and CFFB as repeaters.
CFWH-TV was licensed as a rebroadcaster of CFYK-TV, even though it operated as a semi-satellite with its own network of rebroadcasters. As a result, CFWH-TV and its network of rebroadcasters was one of many CBC and Radio-Canada's remaining analogue transmitters closed on July 31, 2012, as part of several austerity measures announced in April 2012 to keep the corporation solvent and in operation. As a result, this leaves almost the entirety of the Yukon without any aerial CBC television service, the only exception being a community owned broadcaster in Upper Liard, CH2986 channel 9. However, few viewers in the Yukon actually lost access to CBC programming due to the extremely high penetration of cable and satellite, a must for acceptable television in this remote area.
CFYK still operates a Yukon bureau at the CBC's studio in Whitehorse.
CFWH-TV had five over the air VHF analog rebroadcasters throughout the territory of Yukon before they were decommissioned on July 31, 2012.
|City of license||Callsign||Channel||ERP|
|Dawson City, Yukon||CBDDT||7||5 w|
|Keno Hill||CBKHT||13||10 w|
|Watson Lake||CBDAT||8||35 w|
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-107, February 18, 2011.
- CBC/Radio-Canada Speech Transcript: "Speaking notes for Hubert T. Lacroix, President and CEO, CBC/Radio-Canada, regarding measures announced in the context of the Deficit Reduction Action Plan (DRAP)", April 4, 2012. Archived April 7, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CH2986
- TV & Cable Factbook (48th ed.). Washington, D.C.: Warren Communications News. 1979. p. 1126-b.
- CBC North
- CFWH-TV history – Canadian Communications Foundation
- CFWH-TV in the REC Canadian station database