S&P 500 Component
|Industry||Manufacturing and distribution|
|Revenue||US$ 3.685 billion (2016) |
|US$ 134.0 million (2016) |
|US$ -422.0 million (2016) |
|Total assets||US$ 15.131 billion (2016) |
|Total equity||US$ 3.348 billion (2016) |
Number of employees
CF Industries Holdings, Inc. is a North American manufacturer and distributor of agricultural fertilizers, based in Deerfield, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. It was founded in 1946 as the Central Farmers Fertilizer Company. For its first 56 years, it was a federation of regional agricultural supply cooperatives. CF then demutualized, and became a publicly traded company.
The primary operating subsidiary is CF Industries, Inc.
CF demutualized in 2002 and made an initial public offering of shares of equity stock in 2005. Since 2008, the shares of CF Industries have been included in the S&P 500 index of large-cap stock prices.
In 2013, Mosaic Company agreed to buy CF Industries' phosphate business for $1.4 billion in cash.
In 2014, Yara International announced that it was in talks with CF Industries about a possible merger of equals, a deal worth over $27 billion.
On July 1, 2015, CF Industries announces an agreement to acquire remaining 50% interest in GrowHow from Yara for $580 million.
On August 6, 2015, CF Industries announced that it will combine with OCI N.V.'s European, North American and Global Distribution businesses for $8 billion. The combined company will be domiciled in the UK and it will use the CF Industries name.
On May 31, 2016, CF Industries announced the termination of the proposed combination with the European, North American and Global Distribution businesses of OCI.
- "CF Industries Holdings". Fortune. Retrieved 2019-01-25.
- "Corporate Profile – CF Industries' History". CF Industries. Archived from the original on October 9, 2007. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- "CF - CF Industries Replaces EDS - Electronics Data Systems In S&P 500 Index". S&P 500 Stocks. RiSh, LLC. Aug 27, 2008. Retrieved Apr 6, 2015.
- Mosaic Co. to spend about $1.4 billion on purchase of CF Industries phosphate business Associated Press (Minneapolis Star Tribune) October 28, 2013
- Yara, CF in talks to create $27 billion fertilizer giant Archived 2015-10-15 at the Wayback Machine. Reuters, 23 September 2014
- Streetinsider, 1 July 2015,
- "CF Industries and OCI to Create Global Nitrogen Leader". businesswire.com. August 6, 2015. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "Termination of Proposed Combination of CF Industries with OCI's European, North American and Global Distribution Businesses". cfindustries.com. May 23, 2016. Archived from the original on May 5, 2017. Retrieved May 31, 2016.
- Company website
- Corporate profile – CF Industries’ history
- Business data for CF Industries:
- "CF Industries restarting fertilizer plant closed by Gustav". Chicago Tribune. 2009-09-09. Archived from the original on 2011-05-22. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- Toby Shute (July 29, 2008). "A Cash Flood for CF Industries". Motley Fool.