The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|3D Model Marketplace|
|Founder(s)||Marius Kalytis Dalia Lasaite|
|Launched||March 3, 2011; 6 years ago|
CGTrader is a company running an online 3D model marketplace of the same name. The online platform allows designers and modeling studios to upload and either sell or share their 3D models with the community. Developers and designers can then buy these 3D models for further use in both commercial and non-commercial projects. The models are split into three major categories: 3D computer graphics, 3D printing ready, and low poly (used in games and augmented reality/virtual reality apps).
The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in Vilnius, Lithuania. CGTrader has attracted funding from Practica Capital, a seed and venture fund based in Vilnius, as well as from Intel Capital.
CGTrader runs an online 3D model marketplace for 3D designers and CG industry-related buyers. Freelance 3D designers, design companies and 3D modeling hobbyists upload their works, set up descriptions, images, video previews (optional) and pricing. Uploaders should also select one of the categories - CG, low poly or 3D printing - and provide more technical details about their models.
Buyers can choose from several file formats (if uploaded by 3D modellers). CGTrader allows buyers to communicate with model authors directly. Buyers interested in 3D models can also bid their price and negotiate with designers. Alternatively, buyers can post job offers and order custom models in a 3D job board. The digital files of the purchased models can be downloaded from the system directly or following the link delivered via email. For 3D printing ready models, there are several options such as buying the model itself or paying to stream it to a 3D printer.
As of September 1, 2016 sellers get from 70% to 80% royalties of the price listed or negotiated with the buyer. The royalty rates applied are based on reputation system: new users start from Beginner level and can rank up to Legendary level with royalty rates changing accordingly. Reputation points are collected by the means of community interactions, referrals of new users as well as assigned based on quality ratings of models uploaded, number of model sales and other actions.
CGTrader has a community portal, where registered users can browse community-sourced tutorial section and designers' galleries that showcase their artwork, read a company blog, create and participate in forum discussions, take part in 3D design competitions.
The company was founded in 2011 in Vilnius, Lithuania, by Marius Kalytis, a 3D modeller.
In 2013 the first funding round amounting to 185,000EUR was attracted from Practica Capital, a seed and venture fund based in Vilnius, Lithuania. This development was followed by Dalia Lasaite, a serial entrepreneur, joining the company as a co-founder.
In 2013, the company raised an undisclosed amount of funding from Intel Capital and Practica Capital.
In May, 2015, CGTrader won Global Pitch Competition 2015 as well as a prize of 30,000 euros in Latitude59, an annual tech event in Estonia. The same month company was awarded the 1st place prize in Login Startup Fair Pitch Challenge in Vilnius, Lithuania.
In May 2016, the Hundert, a Berlin-based startup publication, named Dalia Lasaite as one of Top 100 European female entrepreneurs.
Forbes mentioned CGTrader among the 8 most ambitious startups from Lithuania in May, 2016.
- "Intel Capital Makes 3-D Printing Investments". Intel Capital. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Intel-backed CGTrader.com Aims To Drive Adoption of 3D Printing". PRweb. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Royalty Structure Change". CGTrader.com. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Introducing Reputation: Score Your Talent". CGTrader. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "500k Users, 500k Models: CGTrader Is Now The Biggest". CGTrader. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Butler Millsaps, Bridget. "Congrats in Order: CGTrader is Now the Largest 3D Model Marketplace in the World, with 500,000 Designs". 3dprint.com. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "1,000,000th user has just joined CGTrader". CGTrader. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- Biggs, John (21 February 2013). "CGTrader, An Online Marketplace For 3D Models, Raises 185K Euro From Practica". TechCrunch. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Maynard, Brendan (15 February 2015). "Lithuanian 3D model marketplace CGTrader raises 185,000 Euro from Practica Capital". GoalEurope. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Sevenson, Brittney (11 February 2014). "Intel Capital & Practica Capital Invest in 3D Marketplace CGTrader". 3DPrint.com. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "#LATITUDE59: CGTrader, winner of the Pitching Competition 2015 talks about the event and the year that followed". Startup Estonia. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Kalvaitis, Julius. "The winners of LOGIN Startup Fair Pitch Challenge announced". LinkedIn. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Startup responsibility starts and ends with you". The Hundert. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Inamedova, Laura K. (30 May 2016). "8 Most Ambitious Startups From Lithuania". Forbes. Retrieved 18 August 2016.