||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Employee owned corporation|
|Industry||Engineering, procurement, construction, and operations|
|Founded||Corvallis, Oregon (1946)
(as Cornell, Howland, Hayes, and Merryfield)
|Headquarters||Meridian, Colorado, United States|
|Jacqueline Hinman, President and Chief Executive Officer|
|Revenue||US$5.88 Billion (FY 2013)|
|US$192.4M (FY 2013)|
|US$118.3M (FY 2013)|
|Total assets||US$3.06 Billion (FY 2013)|
|Total equity||US$642.6M (FY 2013)|
Number of employees
CH2M HILL, also known as CH2M, is a global engineering company that provides consulting, design, construction, and operations services for corporations, and federal, state, and local governments. The firm's headquarters is in Meridian, an unincorporated area of Douglas County, Colorado in the Denver-Aurora Metropolitan Area. The postal designation of nearby Englewood is commonly listed as the company's location in corporate filings and local news accounts. As of December 2013, CH2M had approximately 26,000 employees and 2013 revenues totaled $5.88 billion. The firm is employee-owned, with an internal stock market that operates buy/sell events quarterly. CH2M HILL announced a global rebrand on 13 April 2015, adopting the nickname CH2M while retaining CH2M HILL Companies Ltd. as the firm's legal name.
CH2M was founded in 1946 in Corvallis, Oregon by Oregon State University civil engineering professor Fred Merryfield and three of his students: Holly Cornell, James Howland and Thomas Burke Hayes (the firm was named after the founders, with Howland and Hayes making up the H2 portion). Cornell, Howland, and Hayes were all graduates of Oregon State University. The company became CH2M Hill name after a 1971 merger with Clair A. Hill and Associates of Redding, California. The firm remained headquartered in Oregon until 1980, when a decision was made to relocate to Colorado, a more central location in the United States.
The company operates in multiple business units, among the operating divisions, Water, Energy & Facilities; Government, Environment & Infrastructure; and International. Business groups served include: Water; Transportation; Operations and Maintenance; Government Facilities and Infrastructure; Nuclear; Environmental; Energy and Chemicals; Power; and Industrial and Advanced Technology.
The company developed, maintains and publishes its own method for managing projects for clients, called the CH2M Hill Project Delivery System, which may be found at popular internet book retailers. As a firm specializing in project management, CH2M Hill has been associated in several large, complex projects around the world. In 2005, a CH2M Hill joint-venture known as Kaiser-Hill decommissioned and closed a former nuclear weapons facility at the Rocky Flats site in Colorado (former Rocky Flats Plant).
In Singapore, the company was part of a joint venture to replace the country's sanitary services infrastructure. The new Singapore Deep Tunnel System was designed to improve reliability, ease, and economy of operation, and to help handle Singapore's increasing waterfront utilization. CH2M Hill assisted in reconstruction efforts along the US Gulf Coast in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Its main assignments included providing temporary housing, debris removal, and other services.
Other large projects include a $660 million gas-fired power plant in Australia, in conjunction with General Electric, and an $11.7 billion project to relocate American military bases in Korea. In August 2007, the Panama Canal Authority selected CH2M Hill to manage the $5.25 billion Panama Canal expansion project, which will add new locks to the Pacific and Atlantic ends of the canal and allow Post Panamax ships passage through the canal for the first time. In 2009, a CH2M Hill consortium was named program partner to oversee construction of the Crossrail project to expand London’s transit system.
On August 30, 2006, as part of joint venture CLM, CH2M Hill was a supplier for the London 2012 Olympics. The other two members of the venture are project management service provider Mace Group and Laing O'Rourke, the largest privately owned construction firm in the UK.
The company manages projects for the clients, taking into account the environmental footprint, aiming to use sustainable technology. The firm reduced its own internal environmental footprint in 2011.
In 2008, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) contracted a CH2M Hill company, CH2M Hill Plateau Remediation Company, LLC (CHPRC), to manage deconstruction and remediation of the Central Plateau on the Hanford Nuclear Site in eastern Washington, one of the world’s largest environmental cleanup projects. The project focused on shrinking the environmental footprint of the Hanford Site from a 586-square-mile (1,520 km2) area (large enough to fit the city of Los Angeles) to 75 square miles (190 km2) or less. More importantly, the project will reduce legacy infrastructure costs on site by more than $25 million per year starting in 2015. Using American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funding, CHPRC sped up cleanup of the site over two years, reducing the site footprint 25 percent, employing an additional 1,350 people in the process. When ARRA funded work concludes in September 2012, the site footprint was targeted to shrink to a total of 290 square miles (750 km2), roughly half its previous size. Without ARRA funding, however, the scope of DOE contracted work at Hanford will be reduced. The company also announced that its workforce would reduce by up to 1,350 workers later that year through a combination of voluntary and involuntary separations.
Key acquisitions include Black, Crow & Eidsness (a southeast U.S. engineering firm) in 1977, Gore & Storrie (a Canadian water and wastewater engineering firm) in 1995, Gee & Jensen (a Florida-based Ports and Harbor firm) in 2002, DeMil International (a U.S.-based weapons destruction firm) in 2002, EHS Consultants Ltd (a Hong Kong-based consulting firm), Lockwood Greene, the oldest continuously operating professional services firm in the United States in 2003, and BBS Corporation (an Ohio-based environmental engineering firm) in 2005. On September 7, 2007, CH2M HILL finalized the purchase of most of the components of VECO, an Alaska-based firm specializing in services to the oil, gas, and energy sector that had become embroiled in the Alaska political corruption probe. In December 2007, CH2M Hill acquired Trigon EPC. In March 2008, CH2M Hill acquired Texas-based Goldston Engineering, a company specializing in marine and coastal transportation engineering services. In July 2011, CH2M Hill finalized the acquisition of Booz Allen Hamilton’s State & Local Government Transportation Consulting (S&L Transportation) business. In September 2011, CH2M Hill announced that it intended to acquire the share capital of Halcrow Group Limited, a UK-based engineering consultancy that operates worldwide. The acquisition for £124m was completed on November 10, 2011. In 2014, CH2M Hill acquired TERA Environmental Consultants of Calgary, Alberta.
- "Employee Ownership". CH2M Hill. Retrieved 2007-09-04.
- "Jacqueline Hinman, P.E., LEED".
- "CH2M Hill Companies Ltd 2013 Annual Report – Form 10-K – February 25, 2014." (PDF). secdatabase.com. Retrieved 2014-07-30.
- "CH2M Announces First Global Rebrand in Two Decades; Aligns Strategy and Focus with Clients' Needs". CH2M. CH2M. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "CH2M Hill – Our History". Ch2m.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Oregon State University". Oregonstate.edu. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved 2011-10-18., CH2M.com
- "CH2M Hill – Home". Ch2m.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Project Delivery System : A System and Process for Benchmark Performance: CH2M Hill Project Managers: Books". Amazon.com. ISBN 0965261603.
- "CH2M Hill and PWD Consultants Awarded $123.9 Million Contract for Portion of One of the World's Largest Wastewater Projects". Business Wire. February 21, 2000.
- Rowson, Jessica (June 17, 2009). "Singapore sewerage: No space to waste | Features | New Civil Engineer". Nce.co.uk. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20061130060945/http://www.taxpayer.net/budget/katrinaspending/contracts/ch2mhill.htm. Archived from the original on November 30, 2006. Retrieved January 25, 2007. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070927185010/http://www.oilvoice.com/GE_Energy_CH2M_Hill_To_Build_Coal_Seam_GasFired_Power_Plant_/9875.htm. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved April 18, 2007. Missing or empty
- "Dynamic-Korea". Dynamic-Korea. June 10, 2007. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070817/laf062.html?.v=15. Retrieved August 18, 2007. Missing or empty
- http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/mobile/stories/2009/03/30/daily44.html. Retrieved July 24, 2009. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20061021065221/http://www.aroundtherings.com/article.php?pid=2646. Archived from the original on October 21, 2006. Retrieved August 31, 2006. Missing or empty
- "Leader in Sustainable Engineering Improves Internal Environmental Performance for Sixth Year / CH2M HIll". Newsroom.ch2mhill.com. March 8, 2011. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Qatar Supreme Committee Appoints CH2M Hill as the Programme Management Consultant for 2022 FIFA World Cup™ / CH2M Hill Archived April 14, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.. Newsroom.ch2mhill.com (February 8, 2012).
- "CH2M Hill Acquires Black, Crow & Eidsness, Inc". Environmental Expert. 1 January 1977. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20050217030453/http://www.alumni.ch2m.com/History/reward.htm. Archived from the original on February 17, 2005. Retrieved April 18, 2007. Missing or empty
- "CH2M Hill Companies Ltd – 10-K – For 12/31/04". SEC Info. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "CH2M Hill buys blast chamber company, technology". August 23, 2002.
- https://archive.is/20120905045006/http://www.oakridger.com/stories/120497/bus_ch2.html. Archived from the original on September 5, 2012. Retrieved April 20, 2007. Missing or empty
- "CH2M Hill Lockwood Greene". Ch2m.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Brian E.Sturtevant. "BBS Corporation Joins CH2M Hill". Caprep.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "CH2M Hill Finalizes Acquisition of VECO – re> DENVER, Sept. 7 /PRNewswire/". Prnewswire.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "CH2M Hill raises energy level : Energy". The Rocky Mountain News. January 17, 2008. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- http://arquivo.pt/wayback/20160520053945/http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Ch2M-Hill-829174.html. Archived from the original on May 20, 2016. Retrieved July 24, 2009. Missing or empty
- "CH2M Hill Announces Intent to Acquire Halcrow / CH2M Hill". Newsroom.ch2mhill.com. September 26, 2011. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Completion of Acquisition of Halcrow / CH2M Hill". Newsroom.ch2mhill.com. November 10, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.