|Broadcast area||Calgary, Alberta|
|Frequency||770 kHz (AM)|
|First air date||August 15, 1964|
|Callsign meaning||Calgary's Highest Quality Radio|
|Sister stations||CFGQ-FM, CKRY-FM|
|Website||AM 770 CHQR|
CHQR is a radio station owned by Corus Entertainment operating in Calgary, Alberta. Broadcasting at AM 770, it airs talk radio programming. With the exception of one show, all of CHQR's weekday programming is produced in-house. CHQR is also the exclusive radio voice of the Calgary Stampeders. CHQR is also the last AM station in the Calgary market to broadcast in C-QUAM AM Stereo. CHQR is a Class B station on the clear-channel frequency of 770 kHz.
CHQR's studios are located on Barclay Parade Southwest in downtown Calgary, while its transmitters are located just south of the Calgary city limits near De Winton.
As of spring 2013, CHQR is the third most listened-to radio station, the second most listened-to AM station, in the Calgary market according to a PPM data report released by BBM Canada.
The station originally began broadcasting at 810 AM in 1964 and received approval to move to its current frequency in 1985.
On November 9, 2011, Corus Entertainment Inc., on behalf of its wholly owned subsidiary CKIK-FM Limited applied to the CRTC to add an FM transmitter to serve Calgary on the frequency 106.9 MHz to rebroadcast the programming of CHQR 770. This application was denied on May 24, 2012.
Programs and Hosts
- The Morning News with Bruce Kenyon (weekdays 5:00 AM to 9:00 AM)
- The Kingkade and Kelly Show (weekdays 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM)
- Today So Far with Wayne Nelson (weekdays 12:00 PM to 12:30 PM)
- Dave Taylor (weekdays 12:30 PM to 4:00 PM), co-hosts 3-4pm with Angela Kokott
- Calgary Today with Angela Kokott (weekdays 3:00 PM to 6:30 PM)
- CHQR Sportstalk with Mark Stephen and Jock Wilson (weekdays 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM )
- The Rob Breakenridge Show (Simulcast to CHED Edmonton 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM)
- Those Old Radio Shows (hosted by Dan Gavin, daily from 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM)
- Coast to Coast AM (daily from 1:00 AM to 5:00 AM)
The radio station also broadcasts Calgary Stampeders games.
- PPM Top-line Radio Statistics: Calgary CTRL; February 25 - May 26, 2013
- Decision CRTC 85-54
- Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2011-694
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-307, CHQR Calgary – New FM transmitter in Calgary (Denied) CRTC, May 24, 2012
- AM 770 CHQR
- CHQR history at Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CHQR