|Slogan||Ottawa's Alternative Rock|
|Callsign meaning||CapItal (refers to Canada's capital city) LiVe|
CILV-FM is a Canadian radio station which broadcasts at 88.5 FM in Ottawa, Ontario. The station is owned and operated by Newcap Radio and currently broadcasts a modern rock format under its brand name LiVE 88.5. CILV's studios are located on Antares Drive in Nepean, while its transmitter is located in Greely, Ontario.
The station was licensed by the CRTC in 2005. LiVE 88.5 began testing its signal and broadcasting (internet streaming) online in early December and officially signed on the air on December 26, 2005 at noon, with Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life".
On May 27, 2015, the CRTC approved Newcap's application to change the authorized contours of CILV-FM by moving the transmission site, changing the channel class from B to C1, increasing the maximum effective radiated power (ERP) from 12,000 to 90,000 watts (average ERP from 2,300 to 37,000 watts) and decreasing the antenna’s effective height above average terrain from 254.6 to 130.7 metres. However, a second-adjacent station in Perth, CHLK-FM 88.1, filed an intervention, specifying that such an increase could hamper their station's ability to improve its signal in the future.
On December 16, 2015, at around 7:00 PM, CILV-FM "LiVE 88.5 FM" turned on a new transmitter located south of Ottawa and increased their transmitter power from 12,000 watts to 90,000 watts.
The station sponsors an annual "Big Money Shot" contest to develop and promote emerging local musicians. Past winners of the Live 88.5 Big Money Shot have included Hollerado, Amos the Transparent, The Balconies, Autumns Canon, The Love Machine, My Favourite Tragedy, Down in Ashes, Amanda Rheaume, The Goodluck Assembly and Loudlove.
Live 88.5 is Canada's first carbon neutral radio station, partnering with the Rideau Valley Conservation Foundation in an annual program of planting trees in the suburban township of Beckwith to offset its energy consumption.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2005-253
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-223, CILV-FM Ottawa – Technical changes, CRTC, May 27, 2015
- New Transmitter, LiVE 88.5, December 16, 2015
- "Radio station keeping airwaves clean, Live 88.5 FM carbon neutral forest covers more than eight hectares". Ottawa Community News, February 7, 2013.
- "Live 88.5 goes to Lester B. Pearson’s grave to replace flag". Metro, February 13, 2013.
- LiVE 88.5
- CILV history - Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CILV-FM