Chintamoni Kar Bird Sanctuary
|Chintamani Kar Bird Sanctuary|
|Location||West Bengal, India|
Chintamoni Kar Bird Sanctuary (CKBS)  (Narendrapur, 24Pgs (South), West Bengal, India) situated at south Kolkata and near Narendrapur Ramkrishna Mission. This is also known as Kayal-r Bagan. This garden is famous for availability of wide variety of birds, butterflies, ferns and orchids.
This is an "abhay aranya", or sanctuary, originally given the status in 1982. The government of West Bengal took the initiative to make it open to the public and acquired it from private owners in October 2005. The area was notified as Narendrapur Wildlife Sanctuary vide G O No.3019-FOR dated 8 September 2004. It was later renamed as Chintamani Kar Bird Sanctuary vide G.O No.4300-FOR/FR/O/L/6C-3/04 dated 21 October 2005. This was an honour to celebrated sculptor Chintamoni Kar, who had for many years fought relentlessly to gain the status "kayaler bagan" for the sanctuary.
The nearest popular place, Narendrapur, is 15 km from Sealdah on the Sealdah – Sonarpur section and is part of the Kolkata Suburban Railway system. It is connected by road to Garia and the EM Bypass. It is 20 km from howrah railway station.
Route 1: From Howrah Station Need to take Garia(S-5,S-6,AS-5,AC6) / Narendrapur Bound Buses. Those will take Garia Bound Buses,they need to take Auto For location Narendrapur Rathtala . From The stop They need to Take 300m walk, & they Will Reach The Destination.
Route 2: From Howrah Station can take the Jadavpur 8B Bound buses (E-1) , From 8B they Need ta take the Garia More bound Auto. From Garia More need to take Auto For location Narendrapur Rathtala . From The stop They need to Take 300m walk, & they Will Reach The Destination.
7:00 am to 5:00 pm throughout the year.
List of common birds
- Asian koel (Eudynamys scolopaceo)
- Brown fish owl (Ketupa zeylonensis)
- Shikra (Accipiter badius)
- Indian pond heron (Ardeola grayii)
- Cattle egret (Bubulcus ibis)
- Scaly-breasted munia (Lonchura punchtulata)
- Little egret (Egretta garzetta)
- Little cormorant (Phalacocorax niger)
- White wagtail (Motacilla alba personanta)
- Green bee-eater (Merops orientalis)
- House crow (Corvus splendens)
- Large-billed crow (Corvus macrorhynchos)
- Rufous treepie (Dendrocitta vagabunda)
- White-throated kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis)
- Stork-billed kingfisher (Halcyon capensis)
- Fulvous-breasted woodpecker (Dendrocopos macei)
- Rufous woodpecker (Celeus brachyurus)
- Streak-throated woodpecker (Picus xanthopygaeus)
- Common emerald dove (Chalcophaps indica)
- Spotted dove (Spilopelia chinensis)
- Indian paradise flycatcher (terpsiphone paradisi)
- Oriental magpie-robin (Copsychus saularis)
- Black-hooded oriole (Oriolus xanthornus)
- Cinereous tit (Parus cinereus)
- Chestnut-tailed starling (Sturnia malabarica)
- Red-vented bulbul (Pycnonotus cafer)
List of common spiders
- Garden spider or signature spider (Argiope pulchella)
- Imitation spider (Cyclosa sp.)
- Grass jewel spider (Cyrtarachne keralayensis)
- Lagalaisei's garden spider (Eriovixia sp.)
- Kidney garden spider (Araneus mitificus)
- Tent web spider or dome weavers (Cyrtophora sp.)
- Dark wolf spider (Pardosa sp.)
- Wolf spider (Lycosa sp.)
- Yellow sac spider (Cheiracanthium sp.)
- Banded phintella jumping spider (Phintella vittata)
- Joly spider (Epocilla aurantiaca)
- Heavy bodied jumper (Hyllus semicupreus)
- Ant mimic spider (Myrmarachne sp.)
- Fighting spider (Thiania sp.)
- Pantropical jumping spider (Plexippus paykulli)
- Green crab spider (Olios milleti)
- Silver orb spider (Leucauge granulata)
- Orchard spider or decorative silver orb spider (Leucauge decorate)
- Common house spider (Achaearanea sp.)
- Crab spider or brown flower spider (Camaricus sp.)
List of common butterflies
- Common Jezebel হরতনি (Delias eucharis)
- Redbase Jezebel লোপামুদ্রা (Delias pasithoe)
- Tawny coster হরিনছড়া (Acraea terpsicore)
- Common leopard চিতা (Phalanta phalantha)
- Grey pansy চাঁদনরি (Junonia atlites)
- Common jester পিপুল্কাটি (Symbrenthia lilaea)
- Peacock pansy নয়ান (Junonia almana)
- Striped tiger বাঘবল্লা (Danaus genutia)
- Blue tiger (Tirumala limniace)
- Chestnut tiger ছিট্মউল (Parantica sita)
- Common emigrant পায়রাচালি (Catopsilia pomona)
- Common pierrot তিলাইয়া (Castalius rosimon)
- Red pierrot সাজুন্তি (Talicada nyseus)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chintamoni Kar Bird Sanctuary.|
- "CKBS". www.bengalbirds.info.
- "Kolkata city's little secret - CKBS". Kolkatabirds.com.
- "Chintamani Kar Wild Life Sanctuary". Wild Bengal Directorate of Forests, Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original on 2 April 2012.
- "Spiders Observed at Chintamoni Kar Bird Sanctuary (CKBS)". Chintamani Kar Bird Sanctuary Blog.