|Broadcast area||Edmonton, Alberta|
|Branding||92.5 Fresh Radio|
|Slogan||Today's Best Mix|
|Frequency||92.5 MHz (FM)|
|First air date||1982 (as CJAX-FM)|
|Format||Hot adult contemporary|
|HAAT||200.3 meters (657 ft)|
(Corus Premium Television Ltd.)
|Sister stations||CHED, CHQT, CISN-FM, CITV-DT|
CKNG-FM is a Canadian radio station broadcasting at 92.5 FM in Edmonton, Alberta. The station plays a hot adult contemporary format branded on-air as 92.5 Fresh Radio. CKNG's studios are located on 84th Street in downtown Edmonton, while its transmitter is located near Anthony Henday Drive in eastern Edmonton. The station is owned by Corus Entertainment which also owns other Corus radio stations across Canada.
Since Corus's other adult hits station CJDV-FM in Kitchener, Ontario flipped to mainstream rock, CKNG-FM was the only adult hits station owned by Corus radio until 2011, when CHAY-FM (which had been re-branded as "Fresh Radio" in May 2015) flipped from adult contemporary to adult hits.
For the 2013 winter season, CKNG was the tenth most listened to radio station with a 5.1% share.
On October 29, 1981, CFCN Communications, Ltd. was awarded a license for a new FM station to broadcast at 92.5 MHz. The station officially launched on August 11, 1982, as CJAX-FM, and aired a country format. In June 1986, CJAX flipped to soft rock, and changed its call letters to CKNG-FM. In 1989, CKNG was sold to Moffat Communications. By 1991, CKNG-FM became Power 92, a CHR/Top 40 station, which launched with The Power by Snap. In August 1992, the station was sold to Westcom Radio. Six years later, the station was sold to Shaw Communications, and became a Corus O&O station the following September. In June 2003, CKNG shifted to hot adult contemporary as Power 92.5. After seven months as a hot AC station, the station flipped to adult hits, branded as 92.5 Joe FM, taking the format from sister station CHQT, which returned to oldies. The last song on "Power 92.5" was The Power by Snap! (which was also the first song under the station's top 40 Power 92 era). The station then stunted for an hour with classic TV songs before "Joe FM" launched at 5 PM, with the first song being Good Times Roll by The Cars.
On January 9, 2013, at Noon, CKNG flipped back to Hot AC, branded as "925 Fresh FM" becoming the third Corus radio station to adopt the "Fresh FM" branding. The final song on "Joe FM" was "Hotel California" by The Eagles, while the first song on "Fresh FM" was "Locked Out of Heaven" by Bruno Mars.
On October 1, 2014, the station began promoting itself as 92.5 Fresh Radio, and formally changed to that branding on February 13, 2015 as part of Corus's national relaunch of the Fresh FM branding.
- Dani Rohs - Weekday morning co-host of the Fresh Mornings show from 5:30 am to 9:00 am
- Jay Hatton - Weekday morning co-host of the Fresh Mornings show from 5:30 am to 9:00 am
- Crystal Darche - Midday weekday host of the mid day program, on the air from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Stacy Woodward - morning traffic
- Lauren Fink - Afternoon Traffic
- Keppler - Afternoon weekday host from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm
- Amanda Propp - Weekday evening host from 7:00 pm to 12:00 am
- Rebekah Borst - Weekend host from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm on Saturday, and 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm on Sunday
- Paul O'Neil - music director and fill-in DJ for Fresh Radio/CISN
- Love Guru with Deb Macleod - weekdays
- Alex Hindmarch - Fresh FM/Radio afternoon DJ
- Audie Lynds - Power 92 mornings DJ, now at 96.3 Capital FM
- The Be Arthurs
- Bryan Fustukian
- C.R. Nichols - morning news
- Ceara K - now at 107.3 KooL FM
- Daintre Christensen - morning traffic; currently with Global Edmonton traffic anchor/morning show
- Derek Allen - midday weekday host and afternoon chopper traffic for Fresh Radio, Global Edmonton, and CISN
- Gary James - Power/JOE FM morning DJ, now at 95.7 Cruz FM
- J'lyn Nye - Fresh Mornings, now at 630 CHED
- Jonny Staub - now at 94.5 Virgin Radio
- Jonny Sullivan - Fresh Mornings
- Kevin Robertson - morning news
- Marsha Tate
- Maureen Holloway - Mon-Fri at 7:40am with The Last Word
- Pat Staron - Fresh Mornings
- Rhubarb Jones
- Ryann Bradley - now studying Massage Therapy
- Shannon Fox - now at ADTEL
- Taylor Smith - Fresh Evenings, now at Sonic FM
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2015)|
- "BBM Canada Top-line Radio Statistics S4 2008" (PDF). BBM Canada. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 2, 2008. Retrieved January 11, 2013.
- "PPM Top-line Radio Statistics: Edmonton CMA (August 27-November 25, 2012)" (PDF). BBM Canada. December 6, 2012. Retrieved January 11, 2013.
- "PPM Top-line Radio Statistics: Edmonton CMA (November 25, 2013-February 23, 2014)" (PDF). BBM Canada. March 6, 2014. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- Marty Forbes, Built right - from the ground up - great radio stations last a long time!, April 13, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Edmonton’s JOE FM flips to FRESH FM Archived 2013-01-14 at the Wayback Machine. from Radio West / Canadian Radio News, January 9, 2013