|Broadcast area||Edmonton Capital Region|
|Branding||92.5 The 'Chuck|
|Slogan||80s, 90s, Everything|
|Frequency||92.5 MHz (FM)|
|First air date||1982 (as CJAX-FM)|
|HAAT||200.3 meters (657 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||C KiNG|
|Owner||Corus Entertainment |
(Corus Premium Television Ltd.)
|Sister stations||CHED, CHQT, CISN-FM, CITV-DT|
CKNG-FM is a radio station broadcasting at 92.5 FM in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The station plays an adult hits format branded on-air as 92.5 The 'Chuck. CKNG's studios are located on 84th Street in Downtown Edmonton, while its transmitter is located near Anthony Henday Drive in eastern Edmonton. The station is owned by Corus Entertainment.
For the 2013 winter season, CKNG was the tenth most listened to radio station with a 5.1% share.
On October 29, 1981, CFCN Communications, Ltd. was awarded a license for a new FM station to broadcast at 92.5 MHz. The station officially launched on August 11, 1982, as CJAX-FM, and aired a country format. In June 1986, CJAX flipped to soft rock, and changed its call letters to CKNG-FM, branding itself as King FM. In 1989, CKNG was sold to Moffat Communications. By 1991, CKNG-FM became Power 92, a CHR/Top 40 station, which launched with The Power by Snap. In August 1992, the station was sold to Westcom Radio. Six years later, the station was sold to Shaw Communications, and became a Corus O&O station the following September. On June 27, 2003, CKNG shifted to hot adult contemporary as Power 92.5. After seven months as a hot AC station, on January 13, 2004, the station flipped to adult hits, branded as 92.5 Joe FM, taking the format from sister station CHQT, which returned to oldies. The last song on "Power 92.5" was The Power by Snap! (which was also the first song under the station's top 40 Power 92 era). The station then stunted for an hour with classic TV songs before "Joe FM" launched at 5 p.m., with the first song being Good Times Roll by The Cars.
On January 9, 2013, at Noon, CKNG flipped back to Hot AC, branded as 92.5 Fresh FM becoming the third Corus radio station to adopt the "Fresh FM" branding. The final song on "Joe FM" was "Hotel California" by The Eagles, while the first song on "Fresh FM" was "Locked Out of Heaven" by Bruno Mars.
On October 1, 2014, the station began promoting itself as 92.5 Fresh Radio, and formally changed to that branding on February 13, 2015 as part of Corus's national relaunch of the Fresh FM branding.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2015)
- "BBM Canada Top-line Radio Statistics S4 2008" (PDF). BBM Canada. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 2, 2008. Retrieved January 11, 2013.
- "PPM Top-line Radio Statistics: Edmonton CMA (August 27-November 25, 2012)" (PDF). BBM Canada. December 6, 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-03-09. Retrieved January 11, 2013.
- "PPM Top-line Radio Statistics: Edmonton CMA (November 25, 2013-February 23, 2014)" (PDF). BBM Canada. March 6, 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-05-02. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- Marty Forbes, Built right - from the ground up - great radio stations last a long time!, April 13, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Edmonton’s JOE FM flips to FRESH FM Archived 2013-01-14 at the Wayback Machine from Radio West / Canadian Radio News, January 9, 2013
- What The 'Chuck? Corus Radio Introduces Uniquely-Edmonton Station: 92.5 The 'Chuck