|Slogan||Today's Best Music|
|Frequency||99.7 MHz (FM)|
|First air date||1959 (at 1420 kHz (AM)
August 21, 2007 (FM)
|Format||hot adult contemporary|
|Callsign meaning||Canada Knows PeTerborough|
|Former frequencies||1420 AM (1959-2008)
99.3 FM (2007-2008)
(Bell Media Radio)
CKPT originally began broadcasting at 1420 kHz AM in 1959.
In 2001, CKPT changed from its soft oldies format in favour of a national sports radio network The Team. In August, 2002, after just over a year on the air, then-owner CHUM Limited reversed their decision on the Team format and returned to its adult standards/oldies format as "1420 Memories".
Prior to the switch to FM in 2007, the station was known as "1420 CKPT – Peterborough’s Soft Favorites".
Switch to FM
In March 2007, CKPT was given approval by the CRTC to convert to the FM band at 99.3 MHz. The frequency was chosen by CHUM. CKKK-FM did apply to move from 99.5 to 90.5 FM in March 2007, so CKPT can move to its new FM frequency at 99.3 MHz. CKKK-FM was approved on July 9, 2007 to move from 99.5 to 90.5 FM and the frequency change to 90.5 FM took place on August 20, 2007.
Later in 2007, CKPT was included in the takeover of CHUM Limited by CTVglobemedia.
On August 21, 2007, CKPT-FM signed on 99.3 with a new hot adult contemporary format under the new name "Energy 99.3". The change came just one day after CKKK-FM moved from 99.5 to 90.5 FM. The new CKPT signal will simulcast on its old 1420 AM frequency, until it's turned off after its simulcasting period has ended. On May 5, 2008 at 4:00 p.m. EDT, engineers pulled the plug on the old 1420 AM frequency and left the air forever.
On January 14, 2008, CKPT-FM filed an application to relocate from 99.3 MHz to 99.7 MHz, in order to resolve interference issues to CBC Radio One's CBCP-FM on 98.7 FM; this application was approved on February 27, 2008.
On June 2, 2008, the remaining of the AM four tower array on Crowley Line was taken down. A week earlier, two of the towers were actually toppled, because of structural deterioration. The same day the old AM towers came down on June 2, 2008, CKPT-FM moved to its current frequency at 99.7 FM with the same format and new branding Energy 99.7.
- CRTC Decision 2007-99
- New-Style CKPT hits the airwaves Mykawartha.com August 22, 2007
- AM shutdown renews radio memories Neil Sanderson on multimedia publishing
- Northeast Radio Watch May 12, 2008
- CKPT switches off AM transmitter The Peterborough Examiner
- CKPT towers come down The Peterborough Examiner June 3, 2008
- Crashing to Earth - Golden era of CKPT AM radio officially ends as towers come down The Peterborough Examiner June 3, 2008
- CRTC public notice 2008-3
- CRTC Broadcasting Decision 2008-48 (February 27, 2008)
- Northeast Radio Watch June 9, 2008
- Energy 99.7
- CKPT-FM history – Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CKPT-FM