CLEO - Cisco router in Low Earth Orbit, is an Internet router from Cisco Systems that was integrated into the UK-DMC Disaster Monitoring Constellation satellite built by Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd (SSTL) as a secondary experimental hosted payload, and launched into space with the satellite from Plesetsk on 27 September 2003.
CLEO and the UK-DMC satellite were tested over five years to show the feasibility of extending the Internet to orbit, using both the Internet Protocol and Mobile IP. CLEO was configured by NASA's Glenn Research Center to be used with Virtual Mission Operations Center (VMOC) software from General Dynamics as part of a large internetworking exercise from the field at Vandenberg Air Force Base in June 2004.
The use of CLEO builds on and validates the approach to use of the Internet Protocol articulated by Keith Hogie with NASA Goddard and first demonstrated as part of the Operating Missions as Nodes on the Internet (OMNI) effort on board the UoSAT-12 satellite built by SSTL.
- L.Wood et al., Investigating operation of the Internet in orbit: Five years of collaboration around CLEO, IEEE Communications Society Satellite and Space Communications Technical Committee newsletter, vol. 18 no. 2, pp. 10-11, November 2008
- P. Hochmuth, Cisco in Space, Network World, 31 October 2005.
- W. Ivancic, et al., Secure, Network-Centric Operations of a Space-Based Asset: Cisco Router in Low-Earth Orbit (CLEO) and Virtual Mission Operations Center (VMOC) Archived 2006-10-03 at the Wayback Machine., NASA Technical Memorandum TM-2005-213556, May 2005.
- Cisco router on UK-DMC first to use IPv6 onboard a satellite in orbit, news item from DMC International Imaging, 29 March 2007.
- L. Wood et al., IPv6 and IPsec on a satellite in space, conference paper IAC-07-B2.6.06, 58th International Astronautical Congress, Hyderabad, India, September 2007.
- W. Ivancic et al., IPv6 and IPsec Tests of a Space-Based Asset, the Cisco router in Low Earth Orbit (CLEO) Archived 2009-04-18 at the Wayback Machine., NASA Technical Memorandum TM-2008-215203, May 2008.
- Operating Missions as Nodes on the Internet Archived 2005-12-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- L. Wood, et al., Using Internet nodes and routers onboard satellites, special issue on Space Networks, International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking, volume 25 issue 2, pp. 195-216, March/April 2007
- K. Hogie, et al., Using standard Internet Protocols and applications in space, Computer Networks, special issue on Interplanetary Internet, vol. 47 no. 5, pp. 603-650, April 2005
- K. Hogie, et al., Putting more Internet nodes in space, CSC World, Computer Sciences Corporation, pp. 21-23, April/June 2006.