CMLL Universal Championship (2013)
|CMLL Universal Championship (2013)|
2013 Universal Champion, Tanahashi, wearing the title belt
|Promotion||Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre|
|Date||August 23, 2013
August 30, 2013
September 6, 2013
|City||Mexico City, Mexico|
|CMLL Universal Championship tournaments chronology|
The CMLL Universal Championship 2013 (Campeonato Universal in Spanish) was a professional wrestling tournament produced by the Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) promotion, which took place over three shows between August 23 and September 6, 2013, in Arena México, Mexico City, Mexico. The CMLL Universal Championship is an annual tournament of CMLL champions that was first held in 2009.
The tournament featured 15 professional wrestling matches under single-elimination tournament rules, which means that wrestlers were eliminated when they lose a match. There were no specific storylines that build to the tournament, which has been held annually since 2009. All male "non-regional" CMLL champions at the time of the tournament were involved in the tournament with the exception of the reigning CMLL World Mini-Estrella and Mexican National Lightweight Champions, who have never taken part in the tournament. Regionally promoted championships such as the CMLL Arena Coliseo Tag Team Championship and the Occidente championships promoted in Guadalajara, Jalisco were not included in the tournament; only titles that have been defended in CMLL's main venue Arena Mexico were included. The tournament was divided into two qualifying blocks, which took place on August 23 and August 30, while the final took place on September 6, 2013.
2013 Universal Championship tournament
When CMLL announced the 2013 tournament the following champions were eligible to participate:
- Reigning CMLL World Tag Team Champion Jushin Thunder Liger did not take part in the tournament. For the third year in a row, New Japan Pro Wrestling representative Hiroshi Tanahashi entered the tournament as an outsider.
- Block A
- Block B
Block B took place on August 30, 2013, and featured eight champions wrestling for a place in the finals. Diamante Azul was scheduled to take part in the block, but had to pull out due to an injury and was replaced by CMLL Arena Coliseo Tag Team Champion Okumura.
|Dragón Rojo Jr.||Pin|
|Dragón Rojo Jr.|||
- Salazar López, Alexis A. (August 24, 2013). "Resultados Arena México Viernes 23 de Agosto '13". Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (in Spanish). Archived from the original on August 24, 2013. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- Salazar López, Alexis A. (August 31, 2013). "Resultados Arena México Viernes 30 de Agosto '13". Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (in Spanish). Archived from the original on August 31, 2013. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- Salazar López, Alexis A. (September 7, 2013). "Resultados Arena México Viernes 6 de Septiembre '13". Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (in Spanish). Archived from the original on September 13, 2013. Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- Martínez Sanfeliz, Gerardo (August 24, 2013). "Último Guerrero castiga a Atlantis y pierde lucha del CMLL". Terra México (in Spanish). Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- "Último Guerrero humilló a Atlantis". MedioTiempo (in Spanish). August 24, 2013. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- Zellner, Kris (August 25, 2013). "The Lucha Report". Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved August 25, 2013.
- "Tanahashi buscará el Campeonato Universal del CMLL". MedioTiempo (in Spanish). August 31, 2013. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- Zellner, Kris (September 1, 2013). "Potential issues for major lucha groups on TV in Mexico and more: The Lucha Report". Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- "【CMLL情報】棚橋弘至が"CMLL版G1"カンペオン・ウニベルサルを制し優勝！". New Japan Pro Wrestling (in Japanese). September 7, 2013. Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- Valdés, Apolo (September 7, 2013). "Tanahashi es el nuevo Campeón Universal del CMLL". MedioTiempo (in Spanish). Retrieved September 7, 2013.