CNTRL: Beyond EDM
CNTRL: Beyond EDM is an educational initiative, centred on electronic dance music (EDM), and comprising music production seminars, lessons in the music business and live music performances on a tour of North American universities. Organised by a core team of Richie Hawtin, Loco Dice and Ean Golden, the tour has included many high-profile guest speakers and performers. Their stated aim is "engaging young North American fans of EDM and showing them the roots of the music, the history of a global movement and demonstrating what the future of music technology and performance has the power to become." Partners include Sennheiser, New York DJ school Dubspot and DJTechtools magazine. The CNTRL branding features a fingerprint/circuitboard logo representing the expression of musicians' individuality through electronics.
The first series of events took place in October and November 2012, touring the east coast of the United States and Canada. Seminars were held in:
Each was followed by an evening performance at a nearby venue.
- Sami Yenigun (29 October 2012). "Dance Music Looks Beyond EDM And Hopes The Crowd Will Follow". GBP News. Georgia Public Broadcasting. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "The Week Ahead: Oct. 28 — Nov. 3". The New York Times. 26 October 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "CNTRL: Beyond EDM Discovering Electronic & Techno(logy) Music". Tisch School of the Arts at NYU. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Russell Smith (7 November 2012). "Wanna dance? Bring back the techno underground". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Ben Slater. "CNTRL Beyond EDM Tour - Richie Hawtin – Loco Dice". Behance. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- Amanda Mesa (5 March 2013). "CNTRL: Beyond EDM – SxSW Special w/ Richie Hawtin & more". Elektro. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "CNTRL: BEYOND EDM – A SXSW Special w Richie Hawtin, Loco Dice, Tiga, Azari & III (DJ Set) and more…". Only The Beat. 5 March 2013. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- Mark Gwinnett (15 November 2012). "Music for the masses". The Sun. Retrieved 20 November 2012.