CN Andromedae (CN And) is an eclipsing binary star in the constellation Andromeda. Its maximum apparent visual magnitude is 9.62 and drops down to a minimum of 10.2 during the main eclipse. It's classified as a Beta Lyrae variable with a period roughly of 0.4628 days.
The two stars in this system orbit very close to each other; their spectrum cannot be separated and as a whole they have a spectrum of an F5V star. They are in marginal contact, and there is a mass flow from the primary star to the secondary at a rate of 1.4 × 10−7 M☉ yr−1.
The light curve of CN Andromedae shows a primary eclipse, with its brightness dropping down to 10.21 magnitude, and a secondary one down to a magnitude of 9.9. This phenomenon repeats with a cycle of approximately 11.1 hours, with period decreasing in time due to the mass transfer from one star to the another.
- Brown, A. G. A.; et al. (Gaia collaboration) (August 2018). "Gaia Data Release 2: Summary of the contents and survey properties". Astronomy & Astrophysics. 616. A1. arXiv:1804.09365. Bibcode:2018A&A...616A...1G. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201833051. Gaia DR2 record for this source at VizieR.
- CN And, database entry, Combined General Catalog of Variable Stars (GCVS4.2, 2004 Ed.), N. N. Samus, O. V. Durlevich, et al., CDS ID II/250 Accessed on line 2018-10-17.
- Høg, E.; Fabricius, C.; Makarov, V. V.; Urban, S.; Corbin, T.; Wycoff, G.; Bastian, U.; Schwekendiek, P.; Wicenec, A. (2000), "The Tycho-2 catalogue of the 2.5 million brightest stars", Astronomy & Astrophysics, 355: L27–L30, Bibcode:2000A&A...355L..27H.
- Cutri, R. M.; Skrutskie, M. F.; Van Dyk, S.; et al. (June 2003). "VizieR Online Data Catalog: 2MASS All-Sky Catalog of Point Sources (Cutri+ 2003)". CDS/ADC Collection of Electronic Catalogues (2246): II/246. Bibcode:2003yCat.2246....0C.
- Van Hamme, W.; Samec, R. G.; Gothard, N. W.; Wilson, R. E.; Faulkner, D. R.; Branly, R. M. (2001). "CN Andromedae: A Broken-Contact Binary?". The Astronomical Journal. 122 (6): 3436–3446. Bibcode:2001AJ....122.3436V. doi:10.1086/324110.
- Siwak, M.; Zola, S.; Koziel-Wierzbowska, D. (2010). "A Study of Contact Binaries with Large Temperature Differences between Components". Acta Astronomica. 60 (4): 305–336. Bibcode:2010AcA....60..305S.