|Centre of Science and Technology|
50 Sinqolamthi Street, iLitha Park, Khayelitsha
|Motto||No Excuses, Just Success!|
|Established||1999(20 years ago)|
|Oversight||Science Education Resources Initiative (SERI)|
|Medium of language||English|
|Colour(s)||Blue, Black and White|
Since April 2011 COSAT is located in iLitha Park in Khayelitsha. In addition to its classroom, library and hall, the school building has labs for Physical Science, Information Technology, Life Science, and Computer studies. The school capacity is 550 students.
The school is overseen by the non-profit organization Science Education Resources Initiative (SERI), which was established in August 2004 to improve the quality of Khayelitsha, South Africa's science and mathematics education.
In 2012 COSAT was the first township school to make the provinces’ top ten list for the 2011 matric exams. Since its inception in 1999, the school has had a 100% matric pass rate every year except 2009. The school was placed in the ninth position, amongst the most elite schools in the Western Cape.
The school, which follows the national curriculum, teaches students from grades 8 to 12. Students enter the school at grades 8 and 10. The curriculum for grades 10 to 12 includes: isiXhosa Home Language, English First Additional Language, Mathematics, Physical Science, Life Science, Information Technology ( Delphi Programming and Java) and Life Orientation. An optional class is IEB Advanced Program Mathematics.
- Cape Academy. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Claremont High School. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Projects Funded.[permanent dead link] Upstream Training Trust. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Profile. Archived 2012-09-14 at the Wayback Machine Upstream Training Trust. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Centre of Science & Technology (COSAT). Netpages. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Akhayelitsha Schools Success Shines Like a Beacon of Possibility. WCEDNEWS. Retrieved 30 September 2012.