The CPF Building, with the look-alike DBS Building Tower One slightly behind.
|Alternative names||Central Provident Fund Building|
|Location||Shenton Way, Downtown Core, Singapore|
|Address||79 Robinson Road, Singapore 068897|
|Town or city||Downtown Core|
|Named for||Central Provident Fund|
|Roof||171 m (561 ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||Public Works Department|
The CPF Building is a former high-rise skyscraper located in the central business district of Singapore. The tower is located on 79 Robinson Road, in the Shenton Way and Tanjong Pagar zone. The building is near several other skyscrapers such as DBS Building Tower One, SIA Building and Capital Tower, which are all about 100 metres away.
The CPF Building was designed by the Public Works Department, and was completed in 1976. Other firms involved in the development includes Lalesse Gevelliften BV (KONE Lalesse Gevelliftinstallaties), and the CPF. The building was reclad in 2001.
On 12 August 2005, a rare demonstration by four people demanding greater transparency and accountability in Singapore's state-managed pension fund and other government-linked agencies. The two men and two women assembled at lunchtime outside the CPF building in the central business district, Robinson Road, Singapore. They claimed they did not need a permit and staged their protest for about an hour. However, soon a dozen anti-riot police wearing helmets and knee-high protective gear and carrying shields and batons forced them to disperse.
The CPF Building exhibits the International architectural style. Similar in design to DBS Building Tower One, the main materials used in its construction are aluminium reinforced concrete, glass and granite. The structural types applied in its development are cantilever, with a concrete core.
In November 2015, the building was sold to Ascendas Land for S$550 million. The last tenant moved out on 20 February 2017.
The building has been demolished and will be redeveloped into a 29 storey office tower, slated to be completed in 2020.
- CPF Building at Emporis
- "CPF Building". SkyscraperPage.
- CPF Building at Structurae
- "Asia Travel : Map of CPF Building (S) 068897". StreetDirectory. Retrieved 2008-02-08.[permanent dead link]
- "CPF Building is a place in Singapore on the Map of Singapore". SGPagenation. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- "CPF Board moving to Novena Square". STProperty. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "Singapore: Riot police break up demonstration of four people". ThinkCentre. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- "CPF Building sold for S$550m to Ascendas Land company". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 22 December 2015.