CR El Salvador
|Full name||Club de Rugby El Salvador|
|Ground(s)||Estadio Pepe Rojo (Capacity: 5,000)|
|Chairman||Juan Carlos Martín|
|Coach(es)||Juan Carlos Pérez|
|League(s)||División de Honor|
|2015–16||División de Honor, 2nd / W|
Club de Rugby El Salvador is a Spanish rugby union club. The club was established in 1960 and currently competes in the División de Honor de Rugby competition, the highest level of Spanish club rugby. The club is based in Valladolid in central Spain, playing their matches at the Estadio Pepe Rojo. El Salvador plays in white and black colours. The team has in the past won both the Spanish League and the Copa del Rey de Rugby.
After spending one season in the First Division, the first team were promoted to Division de Honor again in the 1997/98 season; prelude to the coming season, a fact also unprecedented in a newly promoted, be proclaimed champion for the second time league. The following season was ended with two more titles: Ibero Cup and the Copa del Rey again, awards that came to swell the already lengthy prize of our club. In the 1999/2000 and 2001/02 seasons were in subcampeonatos won two league and one in Cup in 2002/03 and 2003/04 were achieved two new league titles, and in 2004/05 and 2005/06, two Spanish Cups, two League subcampeonatos of a new Ibero Cup and two Spanish Super Cups. All these titles, together with those achieved at lower levels, credited to our club as the entity most honored of our community and one of the most winners of Spain.
In the 2003/04 season for the first time CR El Salvador participated in a European competition, debuting in front of the mythical Harlequins in London and getting beat in 2nd round for the first time in a Spanish club to an Italian team (Rovigo), for the next season as getting milestone being the first Spanish club to move one round of the European Shield.
At present, with over 200 players in total, up from prebenjamines the first team, with the help of key Cetransa main sponsor and the other collaborators, the goal remains the beginnings of more than forty years ago: train players at a young age to know who appreciate the values of rugby, try to remain in the top national and try to return to European competitions.
In the 2006/07 season, they won all three titles at senior level, Division champion Honour, HM King Cup and the Super Cup title.
In the 2007/08 season, it was yet another excellent year for the team who won the Division de Honor and the Super Cup title.
In the Amlin Challenge cup in 2010/2011, they won Petrarca Padova rugby in Pepe Rojo stadium (37-16)
- Spanish League: 8
- 1990–91, 1997–98, 2002–03, 2003–04, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2009–10, 2015–16
- Copa del Rey: 7
- 1993, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2016
- Supercopa: 5
- 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
- Copa Ibérica: 4
- 1992, 1999, 2004, 2005
Season by season
- 32 seasons in División de Honor
- Juan Murré
- Uale Mai
- Esera Lauina
- Joe Mamea
- Manuel Serrano
- Jaime Nava
- Pablo Feijoo
- Carlos Souto
- Sergio Souto
- Iván Criado
- Javier Miranda
- Salé Ibarra
- César Sempere
Other notable players
- Sam Katz (England Students International)
- Gillies Kaka capped by New Zealand 7s)
- Jacob Kennedy (signs from Hawke's Bay, capped by New Zealand Under 19)
- Andy Long (England international)
- Charlie O'Connell (signs from Canterbury, capped by New Zealand Under 19)
- Joe McDonnell (New Zealand international)
- David Palu (Tonga international)
- Regardt Van Eyk (former player from Mighty Elephants in the Currie Cup)
- Justin Wilson (former player from Auckland Blues, Hurricanes and Chiefs in Super12/14. Capped by New Zealand Māoris and New Zealand 7s)
- Sam Katz - England Students national rugby union team who's previous club was Loughborough Students RUFC. Highest scorer of 328 points in the División de Honor for 2014/15 season and 388 points for 2015/16 season.
- Uale Mai – Manu Samoa and Samoa Sevens international, 2006 IRB International Sevens Player of the Year, signed for 2010–11.
- Joe McDonnell - New Zealand international signed from Newcastle Falcons as player coach for 2009/10 season.
- Andy Long - England national rugby union team international signed from Newcastle Falcons as player for 2009/10 season. He signed for Northampton Saints in half of the season.