CSE HTML Validator
CSE HTML Validator Pro v17
|Developer(s)||AI Internet Solutions LLC|
2018 (v18.01) / February 28, 2018
|Operating system||Windows 7 and later|
CSE HTML Validator, now renamed to CSS HTML Validator, is an HTML editor for Windows that assists web developers in creating syntactically correct and accessible HTML, XHTML, and CSS documents (including HTML5 and CSS3) by locating errors, potential problems, and common mistakes. It is also able to check links, suggest improvements, alert developers to deprecated, obsolete, or proprietary tags, attributes, and CSS properties, and find issues that can affect search engine optimization.
CSS HTML Validator is developed, marketed, and sold by AI Internet Solutions LLC located in Texas. The first version of CSS HTML Validator was released in 1997 for Windows 95. The current version is 18.01 (as of March 1, 2018). There are four major editions of CSS HTML Validator — Enterprise, Professional, Standard, and Lite. While the application is generally a commercial product (except for the lite edition), a free version of the standard edition is available for personal, non-commercial use.
Because documents are checked locally and not uploaded over the Internet to a server in order to be checked, validations are performed relatively quickly, and security and privacy are increased.
A Batch Wizard tool, included in some editions of the software, can check entire Web sites, parts of Web sites, or a list of local web documents. The Batch Wizard generates reports in HTML or XML format. The reports can be viewed using a standard web browser.
The accessibility checker includes support for Section 508 Amendment to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (both WCAG 1.0 and WCAG 2.0). Current versions also provide support for Canada's Common Look and Feel (CLF), including CLF 2.0.
Using a version of HTML Tidy with HTML5 support and the Format and Fix Tool, CSS HTML Validator can automatically fix some common problems with HTML and XHTML documents. However, some problems cannot be fixed (or fixed correctly) with automated tools and require manual review and repair.
An online edition based on CSS HTML Validator Pro that can check documents via file upload, URL, or snippets (direct text input) was discontinued May 2017 in favor of the desktop version for Microsoft Windows.
Purpose of validation
The purpose of validation and computerized checking of HTML, XHTML, and CSS documents is to help make sure that the documents are syntactically correct and problem-free. Checked HTML, XHTML, and CSS documents are more likely to:
- render faster and with fewer problems (user agents don't have to "figure out" and decipher bad syntax)
- be forward-compatible with future versions of user agents and browsers ("future-proof")
- be compatible with current and future HTML, XHTML, and CSS specifications
- render as intended on a variety of user agents, including mobile devices
- cause fewer problems for visitors
- be more accessible for people with disabilities (such as blindness), as well as users in general
- not contain dead, broken, or rotting links
While automated checking tools are helpful for website development and maintenance, they cannot guarantee that a document will display as intended in all browsers. Developers should always test documents in a variety of browsers (including mobile browsers) to locate problems that cannot be detected with a computerized checking tool.
Differences from other HTML validators
- CSS HTML Validator is an offline desktop app for Microsoft Windows that does not require an Internet connection. The offline nature of the app is in contrast to online services like the W3C Markup Validation Service.
- Includes a DTD-based validator which can optionally be used for checking DTD-based versions of HTML (versions prior to HTML5), however one of CSS HTML Validator's primary differences is that its custom validation engine can perform more checks on a document than a DTD-based validator can. This is because DTD-based validators are limited to checking only what can be specified in a Document Type Definition.
CSS HTML Validator integrates with other 3rd party software like those listed below. This allows validation using CSS HTML Validator from within the 3rd party program.
- Microsys A1 Website Analyzer
- TopStyle - includes link checking support
- About AI Internet Solutions LLC Retrieved on 2017-08-11.
- CSS HTML Validator 2018 (v18.01) Now Available Retrieved on 2018-03-01
- Firefox Add-ons Retrieved on 2017-08-11.
- OnlineWebCheck.com based on CSS HTML Validator Pro
- EmEditor Plug-in Library 32-bit Retrieved on 2017-08-11.
- A1 Website Analyzer Retrieved 2017-08-11
- Tools integration with NuSphere's PHP Editor/IDE Retrieved 2013-04-09
- TopStyle Home Page Retrieved on 2013-01-22.