CSE HTML Validator
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2015)|
CSE HTML Validator Pro v14
|Developer(s)||AI Internet Solutions LLC|
|Stable release||15.03 / May 19, 2015|
|Operating system||Windows XP and later|
CSE HTML Validator is a desktop software application for Windows XP and later. The software assists web developers in creating syntactically correct and accessible HTML, XHTML, and CSS documents (including HTML5 and CSS3) by locating errors, potential problems, and common mistakes. It is also able to suggest improvements, alert developers to deprecated, obsolete, or proprietary tags, attributes, and CSS properties, and find issues that can affect search engine optimization.
CSE HTML Validator is developed and sold electronically by AI Internet Solutions LLC located in Texas. The first version of CSE HTML Validator was released in 1997 for Windows 95. The current version is 15.03 (as of June 18, 2015). Official Windows XP support was dropped in v15. There are four major editions of CSE HTML Validator — Enterprise, Professional, Standard, and Lite.
Validation of polyglot markup was added in CSE HTML Validator v12, and mobile development support (for HTML & CSS) was added in CSE HTML Validator v14 and improved in v15. Version 15 adds built-in syntax checking for JSON and HTML5 cache manifest files.
The accessibility checker includes support for Section 508 Amendment to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (both WCAG 1.0 and WCAG 2.0). Current versions also provide support for Canada's Common Look and Feel (CLF), including CLF 2.0.
Using a version of HTML Tidy with HTML5 support and the Format and Fix Tool, CSE HTML Validator can automatically fix some common problems with HTML and XHTML documents. However, some problems cannot be fixed (or fixed correctly) with automated tools and require manual review and repair.
An online edition based on CSE HTML Validator Pro can check documents via file upload, URL, or snippets (direct text input). It supports HTTPS for security and privacy. The desktop edition of CSE HTML Validator is currently only available for Microsoft Windows.
Purpose of validation
The purpose of validation and computerized checking of HTML, XHTML, and CSS documents is to help make sure that the documents are syntactically correct and problem-free. Checked HTML, XHTML, and CSS documents are more likely to:
- render faster and with fewer problems (user agents don't have to "figure out" and decipher bad syntax)
- be forward-compatible with future versions of user agents and browsers ("future-proof")
- be compatible with current and future HTML, XHTML, and CSS specifications
- render as intended on a variety of user agents, including mobile devices
- cause fewer problems for visitors
- be more accessible for people with disabilities (such as blindness), as well as users in general
- not contain dead, broken, or rotting links
While automated checking tools are helpful for website development and maintenance, they cannot guarantee that a document will display as intended in all browsers. Developers should always test documents in a variety of browsers (including mobile browsers) to locate problems that cannot be detected with a computerized checking tool.
Differences from other HTML validators
- CSE HTML Validator is an offline desktop app for Microsoft Windows that does not require an Internet connection. The offline nature of the app is in contrast to online services like the W3C Markup Validation Service. However, an online edition is available at OnlineWebCheck.com.
- Includes a DTD-based validator which can optionally be used for checking DTD-based versions of HTML (versions prior to HTML5), however one of CSE HTML Validator's primary differences is that its custom validation engine can perform more checks on a document than a DTD-based validator can. This is because DTD-based validators are limited to checking only what can be specified in a Document Type Definition.
Integration with other software
CSE HTML Validator integrates with other 3rd party software like those listed below. This allows validation using CSE HTML Validator from within the 3rd party program.
- Microsys A1 Website Analyzer
- TopStyle - includes link checking support
- About AI Internet Solutions LLC Retrieved on 2015-06-18.
- CSE HTML Validator v15.03 Now Available Retrieved on 2015-06-18
- OnlineWebCheck.com based on CSE HTML Validator Pro
- EmEditor Plug-in Library 32-bit Retrieved on 2013-10-15.
- A1 Website Analyzer Retrieved 2013-04-09
- Tools integration with NuSphere's PHP Editor/IDE Retrieved 2013-04-09
- TopStyle Home Page Retrieved on 2013-01-22.
- UltraEdit Text Editor Features Retrieved on 2014-09-16.