Cloud storage gateways
Online backup service
|Products||CTERA Portal, CTERA C200, CTERA C400, CTERA CloudPlug|
CTERA Networks is a cloud storage and data protection hardware and software company that specializes in cloud storage gateways, which are integrated with a datacenter or cloud-side service delivery platform, CTERA Portal. It provides network storage combined with asynchronously replicated off-site cloud storage. The company produces hardware appliances which are installed in the local network and backup data offsite, and management software for service providers.
CTERA markets cloud storage gateways that use traditional file-based NAS protocols with replication to cloud storage. Local network computers are automatically backed up to the CTERA appliances on the LAN, which then perform incremental backups to an off-site deduplicated cloud storage service, compressing and encrypting the data as it is transmitted. Users have browser-based access to the backups and can access files locally using a "Virtual Cloud Drive”. Users can also throttle bandwidth and schedule transfers off working hours for reducing impact on the network performance. CTERA appliances encrypt data onsite and keep the keys local, reduce latency by caching data or keeping local copies, and provide snapshot capabilities for data availability.
CTERA, based in Palo Alto, California and Israel, was founded in 2008. The company is privately held and backed by Benchmark Capital, Venrock and Cisco. It has regional offices in the US, Israel, the UK, Italy and Spain.
In 2010, a new local NAS appliance was unveiled that can be used for bare metal recovery of downed servers. New server agents were also introduced to make backup and recovery easier and enable multi-user collaboration on files or folders stored locally or in the cloud.
In 2011, the company was named a "Champion" (of value, for cost-vs-feature ratio) in a Cloud Backup Vendor Landscape report by the Info-Tech Research Group. The report only featured 6 companies with each company specializing in either small-to-medium or medium-to-enterprise sized environments. It retained this title in 2012.
In 2012, CTERA was awarded the MSPAlliance MSPWorld Cup Award at the MSPWorld Conference and Expo in Austin, Texas.
CTERA Networks produces the CloudPlug, a small form factor Plug computer that converts external hard drives into network attached storage combined with cloud backup. It also makes several appliances (C800, C400 and C200), which are installed in the local network and backup data into the cloud. CTERA devices can be used for hybrid on-site and offside data protection using cloud backup, snapshots and bare-metal restore capabilities.
In addition to "clientless backup" capabilities, the company provides an installable backup agent that can back up open files, and server agents for backup and recovery of Microsoft Windows server applications, such as Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SQL Server and Active Directory.
Cloud Services platform
To complement its appliances and agents, CTERA provides CTERA Portal, a cloud services platform. The software, which is typically deployed by SaaS providers or Internet Service providers, acts as middleware between data locally stored on a CTERA cloud storage gateways or agents, and cloud storage systems, which may be public or private.
Open Source Software
CTERA has developed Next3, an open source journaled file system for Linux based on ext3, which adds snapshots support, yet retains compatibility to the ext3 on-disk format. Next3 is implemented as open-source software, licensed under the GPL license. Next3 uses dynamically provisioned snapshots, i.e., it does not require pre-allocation of storage space for snapshots. Instead it allocates space as needed. Storage space is conserved by sharing unchanged data among the file system and its snapshots.
- CTERA Adds Bare Metal and Server Backup to Hybrid Cloud, By Kevin Komiega, September 22, 2010
- Cloud Computing Bible, by Barrie Sosinsky, John Wiley and Sons, January 2011, ISBN 978-0-470-90356-8, p. 462-464
- No Disaster Recovery Plan? No Excuse. InformationWeek. 8/15/2012
- CTERA: SIMPLIFYING ROBO STORAGE USING HYBRID CLOUD/LOCAL ARCHITECTURE. Taneja Group
- Matchett, Mike: Cloud has a silver lining for ROBO storage. Stoage Magazine. Vol. 11 No.12 February 2013. p.47
- Slack, Eric. "CTERA's Cloud Attached Storage Adds File Sharing to Cloud Backup", Storage Switzerland, LLC. April 2011
- Ctera Expands, Enhances Cloud Storage Capabilities, Steve Wexler, Network Computing, September 21, 2010
- CloudPlug Wall Wart Backs Up Linux: Local Backup, Offsite Backup, by Paul Ferrill, LinuxPlanet, April 16, 2010
- CTERA Networks, Ltd: Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
- CTERA’s CloudPlug takes a hybrid approach to storage, by Anthony Ha, VentureBeat, January 6, 2009
- Review: Ctera C200 Is What Cloud IT Should Be By Edward F. Moltzen, CRN
- Simpson, Dave. Cloud storage enabler CTERA attracts new investors, including Cisco. 451 Research. May 2, 2012
- CTERA Private Vendor Watchlist Profile, by Dan Yachin, IDC, August 2009
- Cloud Backup Vendor Landscape Info-Tech Research Group. 2011. p. 15
- Cisco, Benchmark And Venrock Back Cloud Storage Company CTERA Networks, Leena Rao, TechCrunch, March 21, 2012
- CTERA Networks (Israel) and Amplidata (Flanders) join hands. 6 Apr 2012.
- Lawson, Stephen (January 6, 2009). "Startup Ctera will offer cloud storage through carriers". Network World. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- CTERA Intros Hybrid Local-Cloud Storage Appliance
- Vendor Landscape: Cloud Backup Gateways
- Weinberger, Matthew. CTERA and EMC Atmos Partner for Cloud Storage. Talkin' Cloud. Nine Lives Media.
- Dave Simpson, Simon Robinson. CTERA grows hybrid cloud storage base, partners with EMC. Impact Report. The 451 Group. 10 Aug 2011.
- Verge, Jason. CloudPlug: plugs online backup need. Enterprise and Mass-Market Hosting. Tier1 Research. 11-Oct-2009
- CTERA Networks Wins MSPAlliance® MSPWorld Cup Award™ 2012
- Nelson, Fritz (January 11, 2009). CTERA at CES: USB as NAS and Cloud Backup. TechWebTV. Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- CTERA C200 Reviewed, by Tim Higgins, Small Cloud Builder
- Data Protection and Recovery in the Small and Mid-sized Business (SMB), by Deni Connor, Patrick H. Corrigan and James E. Bagley. Storage Strategies NOW, October 11, 2010
- Kern, Justin. New Product News – June 9, 2011, Information Management Online, June 9, 2011
- Ohlhorst, Frank. CTERA Links Cloud Storage With Data Protection. Network Computing. July 18, 2011
- CTERA brings the cloud down scale, By Mark Gibbs, Network World , July 09, 2010
- CTERA Extends Hybrid Cloud Storage Offering, By Daniel P. Dern, InformationWeek.
- Kovar, Joseph. CTERA Intros Mobile Cloud Storage Apps For Secure File Access. CRN. April 05, 2012
- Corbet, Jonathan. "The Next3 filesystem". LWN.
- Shread, Paul (June 8, 2010). "CTERA Adds Data Protection to Linux File Systems". Retrieved 9 June 2010.