Cloud storage gateways
Online backup service
|Products||Cloud Storage Gateway|
Enterprise File Sync and Share
Endpoint and Server Backup
Cloud Server Data Protection
CTERA Networks is a privately held enterprise software company headquartered in New York and Israel. The company has regional offices in the UK, Italy, France, Spain, Germany, and Australia. CTERA has partnered with companies including Amazon Web Services, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM, and clients include Deutsche Telekom, Banco Santander, AXA and the United States Department of Defense. In October 2016 IBM became a CTERA reseller. IBM's Cloud Object Storage, integrated with the CTERA Enterprise File Services Platform, can be deployed on-premises, in the SoftLayer cloud or in a hybrid on-premises/cloud setup. CTERA was mentioned in Gartner's 2016 Magic Quadrant for Data Center Backup and Recovery Software.
The company raised a $9 million Series A funding round in January 2009 led by Benchmark Capital. In March 2012, CTERA raised an $11 million funding round lead by Venrock and included a strategic investment from Cisco Systems and participation of prior investor Benchmark Capital, which raised approximately $15 million. In July 2014, CTERA raised $25 million in a Series C funding round led by Bessemer Venture Partners  with participation from Benchmark Capital, Cisco and Venrock. In September 2016, CTERA announced an additional $25 million funding round led by Bessemer Venture Partners with participation from Cisco and new investor Vintage Investment Partners. The investment was considered to be part of the earlier Series C funding round that consisted of $25 million in July 2014. As of 2016, CTERA has raised $70 million in funding.
Gartner named CTERA one of five Cool Venders in Storage Technologies in 2013. Gartner included CTERA in its 2015 Critical Capabilities for Enterprise Endpoint Backup and the Magic Quadrant for Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing (EFSS).
CTERA was included on the Deloitte Fast 500 list in technology in 2015. CTERA was mentioned in Gartner's 2016 Magic Quadrant for Data Center Backup and Recovery Software. In June 2016, CTERA earned a contract to provide a private cloud file sharing solution to the United States Department of Defense. As part of the agreement, CTERA and DISA (Defense Information Systems Agency) co-developed a mutual authentication technology using government-issued smart cards for additional layers of protection beyond the standard enterprise integration with Microsoft Active Directory servers.
In 2009, CTERA released its first cloud storage gateway, the C200. The gateway combined the speed of local network storage with off-site cloud storage and backup technology. In 2010, CTERA released the C400 cloud storage gateway which added features for office server backup and recovery and collaboration capability for multiple users working on files stored in the cloud or on the gateway. In 2011, the C800 gateway was released with 24 TB of raw local storage. In 2016, CTERA announced a virtual cloud storage gateway that can be deployed from VMware or KVM servers that enabled customers to use existing hardware. CTERA released updates to its cloud storage gateway portfolio in April 2016 focused on efficiency and storage capacity. 
CTERA released Enterprise File Sync and Share (EFSS) in 2012, which enabled users to access, share and collaborate on files from any location by storing files either locally or on the cloud. Also in 2012, CTERA launched a mobile app which made it possible to access files and backups on iOS and Android devices.
In December 2015, CTERA announced Cloud Server Data Protection, its storage-as-a-service server data protection software for enterprise CloudOps. Cloud Server Data Protection protects server data on a private or virtual private cloud using backup agents for Windows and Linux environments and object storage services through cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, IBM Cloud and OpenStack-based clouds.
- CTERA Networks (Israel) and Amplidata (Flanders) join hands. 6 Apr 2012.
- "230% Increase in Ctera's Enterprise Business in 2015". Storage Newsletter. March 1, 2016.
- Clare Hopping (March 17, 2015). "CTERA Networks and Deutsche Telekom launch compliance cloud". CloudPro.
- James Bourne (May 17, 2016). "How Santander embraced cloud storage for greater productivity and data security". CloudTech.
- "Growth of Chinese Startup Investment Likely to Slow This Year". Haaretz. June 14, 2016.
- "Israeli CTERA to Provide Private Cloud System to US MoD". iHLS. June 15, 2016.
- David Braue (June 14, 2016). "Stronger cloud-storage authentication winning Australian government agencies: CTERA". CSO.
- Chris Mellor (October 13, 2016). "Data-updater CTERA gets IBM reselling approval stamp". The Register.
- "Magic Quadrant for Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing - Gartner". Storage Newsletter. August 26, 2015.
- Tali Tsipori (September 13, 2016). "Israeli cloud storage co CTERA Networks raises $25m". Globes.
- Orr Hirschauge (July 2, 2014). "Private Cloud Firm CTERA Closes $25 Million Funding Round". The Wall Street Journal.
- "CTERA Networks". The Next Web.
- Chris Mellor (April 10, 2014). "Cloud storage gateway firm: Selling to end users? Meh. We'll leave it to CSPs, et CTERA". The Register.
- Leena Rao (March 21, 2012). "Cisco, Benchmark And Venrock Back Cloud Storage Company CTERA Networks". TechCrunch.
- Maureen O'Gara (March 26, 2012). "Cisco Helps Back Cloud Storage Start-Up Ctera". Sys-Con Media.
- Joseph F. Kovar (July 2, 2014). "CTERA Closes $25M Funding Round For Cloud Storage, File Sync And Share". CRN.
- Dan Koblalka (July 3, 2014). "CTERA Networks: Welcome to Platform Era for Enterprise Cloud Storage". MSP Mentor.
- Mia Rafalowicz-Campbell (September 13, 2016). "Enterprise file services platform CTERA picks up $25 million". Geektime.
- "With $25M, CTERA to boost marketing, sales & customer acquisition". TechSeen. September 13, 2016.
- Doug Barney (May 14, 2013). "Gartner Calls Hybrid Cloud Company CTERA 'Cool'". MSP Today.
- "Gartner Report: Critical Capabilities for Enterprise Endpoint Backup". Storage Newsletter. November 26, 2015.
- "Magic Quadrant for Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing". Gartner. July 22, 2015.
- "2015 Technology Fast 500TM Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) Ranking" (PDF). Deloitte.
- Lawson, Stephen (January 6, 2009). "Startup Ctera will offer cloud storage through carriers". Network World. Archived from the original on 2009-03-03. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- Mark Gibbs (July 9, 2010). "Ctera brings the cloud down scale". Network World.
- "CTERA Offers Cloud Storage Portal with Channel in Mind". eWeek. April 20, 2010.
- "CTERA Links Cloud Storage With Data Protection". Network Computing. July 18, 2011.
- Eric Slack (October 20, 2011). "CTERA C400". Storage Switzerland.
- Dave Courbanou (June 13, 2011). "CTERA Lanches New High-Capacity Hybrid Cloud Gateway". Talkin Cloud.
- Nathan Eddy (April 25, 2016). "CTERA Virtualizes Cloud Storage Gateway Portfolio". eWeek.
- "CTERA aims for converged infrastructure customers with updated cloud storage portfolio". CloudTech. April 21, 2016.
- James Bourne (July 27, 2015). "Gartner's enterprise file sync and share Magic Quadrant offers surprises and opportunities". CloudTech.
- Brian Taylor (April 4, 2012). "CTERA Launches Mobile App for Secure File Access". Talkin Cloud.
- Chris Mellor (April 4, 2012). "Ctera rocks up at BYOD party with big boy's cloud storage". The Register.
- Nathan Eddy (December 10, 2015). "CTERA Unveils Server Data Protection for Enterprise CloudOps". eWeek.
- Daniel Robinson (December 9, 2015). "Ctera unveils tool to back up servers across cloud platforms". v3.