Cabin Fever: Patient Zero
|Cabin Fever: Patient Zero|
|Directed by||Kaare Andrews|
|Written by||Jake Wade Wall|
|Music by||Kevin Riepl|
|Edited by||Michael P. Mason|
|Distributed by||Image Entertainment|
Cabin Fever: Patient Zero is a 2014 American horror film directed by Kaare Andrews and written by Jake Wade Wall. Starring Ryan Donowho, Brando Eaton, Jillian Murray, Mitch Ryan, Lydia Hearst and Sean Astin, the film is the third installment in the Cabin Fever franchise and acts as a indirect prequel to the previous two films.
Dr. Edwards arrives at a secluded island laboratory to examine Mr. Porter. Although Porter carries a deadly flesh-eating virus, he is asymptomatic and shows no signs of necrosis. Along with fellow researchers Camila and Bridget, Dr. Edwards spends two months examining Porter in isolation. Porter continually asks to see his wife, but he is continually denied.
Marcus prepares to marry wealthy heiress Kate Arias in the Dominican Republic. Mark’s best friend Dobs, his brother Josh, and Josh’s girlfriend Penny charter a boat and take Mark to a supposedly unpopulated island for a low key bachelor party.
Sympathetic researcher Camila creates a rapport with Porter. Frustrated with his confinement, Porter intentionally infects one of the researchers as he begins revolting against his continued isolation. Porter warns Camila that he is dangerous. Bridget becomes infected.
Josh and Penny go snorkeling and find dead sea animals littering the ocean floor. When they return to camp, Josh and Penny discover strange rashes on their skin. While Josh performs oral sex on her, Penny begins spitting up large amounts of blood and her flesh starts melting. Josh radios for help and a voice claiming to be Dr. Edwards provides him with instructions.
Realizing that they need help but are stranded, Mark and Dobs search the island and find a bunker. Inside, the two friends discover research related to the virus. They also find mutated men who attempt to kill them. Mark and Dobs are able to escape the human danger, but Dobs becomes infected.
The bunker turns out to be connected to Dr. Edwards’ laboratory. Josh reunites with Mark and Dobs and they find the researchers. After formulating a plan for extraction, Bridget and Josh split off to gather Penny and wait for the boat on the beach. Dobs and Edwards also go on their own while Porter, Camila, and Marcus initiate the laboratory’s self-destruct sequence.
Bridget kills Josh and makes for the beach. Penny sees Bridget trying to steal the dinghy and the two infected women fight each other to the death. Edwards also manages to kill Dobs and escape to the beach with a rifle.
After rigging the lab to explode, Porter, Camila, and Marcus discover Dobs’ body and confront Dr. Edwards. Edwards prepares to shoot Marcus, but Porter produces a handgun of his own and kills Edwards. Porter, Camila, and Marcus escape when the boat arrives.
On the boat, Porter gives Camila and Marcus each a bottled water to drink. Shortly thereafter, Camila and Marcus hear loud noises. They discover that Porter infected their water by injecting his blood into the bottles with a syringe before killing the boat captain and escaping in the dinghy. Camila and Marcus begin showing signs of infection. Flashbacks reveal that Porter stole a radio from the HAZMAT suit when he assaulted the researcher and used it to impersonate Edwards, leading Josh and the others to the laboratory.
- Mitch Ryan as Marcus
- Ryan Donowho as Dobs
- Brando Eaton as Josh
- Jillian Murray as Penny
- Currie Graham as Dr. Edwards
- Lydia Hearst as Bridgitt
- Sean Astin as Porter
- Solly Duran as Camila
- Claudette Lali as Kate
- Juan 'Papo' Bancalari as Mr. Arias
- Marie Michelle Bazile as Elderly woman / Witch
- Roberto Linval as Jorge
Cabin Fever: Patient Zero received mostly negative reviews from critics. Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a 25% rating based on 20 reviews. On Metacritic, the film has a 28 out of 100 rating based on 11 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
Sequel and remake
A fourth entry in the series, titled Cabin Fever: Outbreak, was planned to be filmed back-to-back with Patient Zero, but was scrapped. The remake of Cabin Fever was released in February 2016. Eli Roth, the writer and director of the original film, produced the remake.
Cabin Fever: Patient Zero Original Motion Picture Soundtrack was released on July 22, 2014 under the record label Sumthing Else Music Works. The music was composed by Kevin Riepl, who has previously worked with Kaare Andrews on The ABCs of Death.
- Kit, Borys (September 12, 2012). "Lydia Hearst Joins Horror Prequel 'Cabin Fever: Patient Zero' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- "Cabin Fever 3: Patient Zero". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- "Cabin Fever: Patient Zero". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- Miska, Brad (April 18, 2014). "Remake Infection Spreads In 'Cabin Fever' (Exclusive)". Bloody Disgusting.
- admin (July 2014). "Kevin Riepl's original score to horror/thriller film prequel available digitally on July 22". Sumthing Else Music Works. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- Ciafardini, Mark (22 July 2014). "Interview…Composer Kevin Riepl on Scoring 'Cabin Fever: Patient Zero'". Goose Talk. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- Dyar, Amanda (July 2014). "Exclusive Interview: Kevin Riepl Discusses Cabin Fever: Patient Zero". BCC After Dark. Archived from the original on October 14, 2014. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- Jeremy (June 2014). "Interview with Composer... Kevin Riepl". Howlin' Wolf. Retrieved 18 October 2014.