An old German pack of Cabinet cigarettes.
|Owner||Reemtsma, a division of Imperial Tobacco|
Cabinet cigarettes were introduced in the German Democratic Republic in 1972 and were produced by the operating state-owned "VEB Tobacco Nordhausen" as well as the "Vereinigte Zigarettenfabriken" in Dresden. Before Reemtsma acquired the brand, the monthly production was amounted to about 800 million cigarettes and the market share was 33 percent in 1989. However, after Reemtsma took over the production, market share fell below 10 percent in 1990. After the production took place in Nordhausen until the late 1990s, then the site was closed and the production was continued at the headquarters of Langenhagen. After the German reunification, Reemtsma changed the Cabinet brand to get it accustomed to Western standards. The pollutants were significantly reduced, the tobaccos mixed to new recipe - lighter and wholesome should be the new "Cabinet". Also, the pack got a fresh, modern outfit. New variants were also introduced. However, many smokers did not like the changes and the brand lost significant market share after the changes, because the old GDR smokers were accustomed to a strong smoke. A 20-pack of Cabinet cigarettes in the GDR costed about 3.20 Deutsche Mark.
- Cabinet Red
- Cabinet Blue
- Cabinet Gold
- Cabinet Fresh
- Cabinet Spice
|Cabinet Red||8 mg||0,7 mg||8 mg|
|Cabinet Blue||6 mg||0,5 mg||6 mg|
|Cabinet Gold||2 mg||0,2 mg||2 mg|
|Cabinet Fresh||6 mg||0,5 mg||6 mg|
|Cabinet Spice||10 mg||0,9 mg||10 mg|
- "Die Reemtsma Produkte: von Zigaretten bis Zubehör". Reemtsma.com. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- Die Tabakbranche erlebt im neuen deutschen Osten eine Überraschung - den Rauchern schmeckt das Westkraut nicht. In: Der Spiegel. 45/1990.
- "Museum Pankow - 'Zigarettenschachtel der Marke 'Cabinet (museum-digital:berlin)". Museum-digital.de. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- "Zigarettenmarkt: Der Duft von gestern". Zeit.de. 8 February 1991. Retrieved 14 January 2018 – via Die Zeit.
- "Zigaretten in der DDR - 40-Jahre-DDR.de / Das Ost Blog". 40-jahre-ddr.de. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- "Objects". Ddr-museum.de. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- "BrandCabinet - Cigarettes Pedia". Cigarettespedia.com. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- "Cabinet". Zigsam.at. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- "Brands". Cigarety.by. Retrieved 14 January 2018.