Government of the Republic of Abkhazia
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Republic of Abkhazia is headed by the President, a post held since 25 September 2014 by Raul Khajimba, who is supported by the Vice President (Vitali Gabnia, inaugurated together with Khajimba). They are served by a cabinet of ministers, headed by a Prime Minister, a post currently held by Artur Mikvabia.
|Prime Minister||Artur Mikvabia||20 March 2015|
|First Vice Premier||Shamil Adzynba||15 October 2014|
|Vice Premier||Dmitri Serikov||8 April 2015|
|Chief of the Cabinet Staff||Diana Pilia||26 May 2015|
|Minister for Internal Affairs||Beslan Khagba||14 May 2015|
|Minister for Health||Andzor Goov||28 October 2014|
|Minister for Foreign Affairs||Viacheslav Chirikba||11 October 2011|
|Minister for Culture and the Preservation of Historical and Cultural Heritage||Elvira Arsalia||15 October 2014|
|Minister for Defence||Mirab Kishmaria||10 May 2007|
|Minister for Education and Science||Adgur Kakoba||15 October 2014|
|Minister for Agriculture||Timur Eshba||8 April 2015|
|Minister for Labour, Employment and Social Security||Suren Kerselyan||15 October 2014|
|Minister for Finance||Amra Kvarandzia||17 October 2014|
|Minister for Economy||Adgur Ardzinba||8 April 2015|
|Minister for Justice||Marina Pilia||17 October 2014|
|Minister for Emergency Situations||Lev Kvitsinia||21 July 2014|
|Minister for Resorts and Tourism||Avtandil Gartskia||13 March 2015|
|Minister for Taxes and Duties||Rauf Tsimtsba||8 April 2015|
|Chairman of the State Committee for Repatriation||Vadim Kharazia||11 April 2015|
|Chairman of the State Committee for Ecology and the Environment||Saveli Chitanava||21 October 2014|
|Chairman of the State Committee for Standards, Consumer and Technical Supervision||Erik Rshtuni||23 October 2014|
|Chairman of the State Customs Committee||Daur Kobakhia||21 October 2014|
|Chairman of the State Committee for Management of State Property and Privatization||Konstantin Katsia||3 April 2007|
|Chairman of the State Committee for Youth Policy||Alias Avidzba||11 April 2015|
|Chairman of the State Committee for Physical Culture and Sports||Bagrat Khutaba||11 April 2015|
The People's Assembly is the parliament of the Republic of Abkhazia.
The Military Procuracy and Military Court were founded in March 1993. On 11 July 1993, the Military Court was turned into the Military Tribunal, but it was changed back on 1 July 1998.
Following the October 2004 presidential election, lost by the pro-government candidate, outgoing Prime Minister Raul Khajimba, outgoing President Vladislav Ardzinba dismissed Korua on 17 October, for unspecified public statements and for failing to act against supposed violations during the elections. It was reported that Korua's dismissal was motivated by his support for opposition candidate Sergei Bagapsh, and for starting an investigation against Khajimba. The People's Assembly, controlled by supporters of Bagapsh, subsequently restored Korua to office. On 17 December, Ardzinba again suspended Korua and appointed his deputy Omiani Logua as acting Prosecutor General, this time following complaints by Abkhazian Railways head Rita Lolua. People's Assembly Speaker Nugzar Ashuba again rejected Ardzinba's decision and called upon Korua to continue his work.
Following the May 2014 Revolution, on 5 June the People's Assembly voted to dismiss Mikanba as Prosecutor General. The following day, acting President Valeri Bganba appointed Deputy Prosecutor General Zurab Agumava as Acting Prosecutor General. On 9 September, Bganba extended Agumava's temporary appointment until 7 October 2014. That day, the People's Assembly elected Deputy Minister for Internal Affairs Aleksei Lomia to become the new Prosecutor General with 26 votes in favour, 3 against and 1 abstention.
Lomia resigned on 26 July 2016, coinciding with the resignation of Prime Minister Artur Mikvabia, and his resignation was accepted on the following day by the People's Assembly. Lomia's successor, Nuri Tania, was only appointed on 28 September, after Summer recess. Tania was elected as Constitutional Court judge and released from the office of Prosecutor General less than four months later, on 18 January 2017, following an agreement between the government and the opposition whereby the opposition could nominate a new Prosecutor General. That same day, it elected with 23 votes in favour and 3 abstentions the opposition's nominee to succeed Tania, Zurab Achba, who had served as prosecutor in Gagra District until 2014.
On 1 June 2015, Supreme Court Chairman Roman Mushba announced his resignation, co-inciding with the end of his current mandate. On 30 July, Parliament elected as new Chairman Zurab Agumava, who had previously served as Supreme Court Judge, Interior Minister, Security Service Head, Military Prosecutor and Acting Prosecutor General. In addition, it elected Oksana Pilia as Supreme Court Judge.
On 11 February 2016, the People's Assembly adopted a law which instituted a new, independent office of Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is elected by the People's Assembly by a simple majority for a term of five years. Candidates may be nominated by a group measuring at least one third of the total number of deputies. The Ombudsman must be a citizen and a permanent resident of Abkhazia, between 35 and 65 years of age and having completed higher education, and may not have a criminal record. No person may fulfill more than two consecutive terms as Ombudsman.
Accordingly, on 4 May Otyrba was released as Ombudsman by President Raul Khajimba and on 22 November, the lawyer Dmitri Marshan was elected as the new Ombudsman by Parliament, with eighteen votes in favour, one against and one abstention, out of 28 deputies present, after having been nominated by a group of 26 deputies.
- (English)/(Russian)/(Abkhaz)(Turkish)/ President of the Republic of Abkhazia. Official site
- (English)/(Russian)/(Turkish) Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Abkhazia. Official Site
- "Органам военной юстиции Республики Абхазия исполнилось 20 лет". Apsnypress. 29 March 2013. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "Генпрокуратура Абхазии отметила своё 19-летие". Apsnypress. 16 April 2013. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- Sergeev, Konstantin (17 December 2004). "Президент Абхазии уволил генпрокурора". Good Morning Russia. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "ОБЗОР АПСНЫПРЕСС ЗА 27.12.2004". Apsnypress. 27 December 2004. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Генеральный прокурор Сафарбей Миканба отстранен от должности". Apsnypress. 5 June 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Зураб Агумава назначен исполняющим обязанности Генерального прокурора РА.". Apsnypress. 6 June 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Исполнение Зурабом Агумава обязанностей генерального прокурора РА продлено до 7 октября". Apsnypress. 9 September 2014. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "Алексей Ломия назначен Генеральным прокурором Республики Абхазия". Apsnypress. 7 October 2014. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- Poluyan, Elena (28 September 2016). "Парламент утвердил на должность генпрокурора Абхазии Нурия Тания". Apsnypress. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- Poluyan, Elena (27 July 2016). "Утверждена отставка Генпрокурора Абхазии Алексея Ломия". Apsnypress. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "НУРИЙ ТАНИЯ ИЗБРАН СУДЬЕЙ КОНСТИТУЦИОННОГО СУДА РЕСПУБЛИКИ АБХАЗИЯ". Abkhazia Inform. 18 January 2017. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "ЗУРАБ АЧБА НАЗНАЧЕН ГЕНЕРАЛЬНЫМ ПРОКУРОРОМ". Abkhazia Inform. 18 January 2017. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Председателем Арбитражного суда РА избрана Фатима Квициния". Apsnypress. 16 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Роман Мушба объявил о своей отставке". Apsnypress. 1 June 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "Зураб Агумаа избран на должность Председателя Верховного Суда Республики Абхазия". Apsnypress. 30 July 2015. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "Необходимо разработать законодательство в области защиты прав человека — Полпред по правам человека при Президенте". Администрация Президента Республики Абхазия. 7 March 2007. Retrieved 5 February 2009.
- "ДЕПУТАТЫ ПАРЛАМЕНТА ПРИНЯЛИ В ОКОНЧАТЕЛЬНОМ ЧТЕНИИ ЗАКОНОПРОЕКТ "ОБ УПОЛНОМОЧЕННОМ ПО ПРАВАМ ЧЕЛОВЕКА В РЕСПУБЛИКЕ АБХАЗИЯ"". Abkhazia Inform. 11 February 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- Jopua, Irena (7 April 2016). "Повторные выборы по 21 и 23 избирательным округам Сухума пройдут 29 мая". Apsnypress. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "ЮРИСТ ДМИТРИЙ МАРШАН ИЗБРАН НА ДОЛЖНОСТЬ УПОЛНОМОЧЕННОГО ПО ПРАВАМ ЧЕЛОВЕКА В АБХАЗИИ.". Abkhazia Inform. 22 November 2016. Retrieved 22 November 2016.