Cabo de Hornos, Chile
Cabo de Hornos, Chile
Puerto Williams, seat of the commune of Cabo de Hornos
|Region||Magallanes y Antártica Chilena|
|Foundation||December 30, 1927|
|• Alcalde||Patricio Fernández (DC)|
|• Total||15,853.7 km2 (6,121.1 sq mi)|
|Elevation||39 m (128 ft)|
|• Density||0.11/km2 (0.27/sq mi)|
|Area code(s)||56 + 61|
|Website||Official website (in Spanish)|
Cabo de Hornos, Chile is a Chilean commune located in the south of Tierra del Fuego archipelago, in Antártica Province, Magallanes Region. The municipality of Cabo de Hornos, located in the town of Puerto Williams, also administers the Antártica commune. It is named for Cabo de Hornos, or "Cape Horn", the southern tip of South America..
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Cabo de Hornos spans an area of 15,853.7 km2 (6,121 sq mi) and has 2,262 inhabitants (1,403 men and 859 women). Of these, 1,952 (86.3%) lived in urban areas and 310 (13.7%) in rural areas. The population grew by 24.7% (448 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
As a commune, Cabo de Hornos is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2016-2020 alcalde is Patricio Fernández (PDC).
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Cabo de Hornos is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Juan Morano (PDC) and Gabriel Boric (Ind.) as part of the 60th electoral district, which includes the entire Magallanes y la Antártica Chilena Region. The commune is represented in the Senate by Carlos Bianchi Chelech (Ind.) and Carolina Goic (PDC) as part of the 19th senatorial constituency (Magallanes y la Antártica Chilena Region).
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of Cabo de Hornos" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Territorial division of Chile" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 November 2010. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- (in Spanish) Official website of the Municipality of Cabo de Hornos
- Official website of Puerto Williams
- Gobierno Regional Magallanes y Antártica Chilena Official website (in Spanish)
- Cape Horn Biosphere Reserve