New South Wales
Location in New South Wales
|Population||13,860 (2015 est)|
|• Density||2.3000/km2 (5.9571/sq mi)|
|Area||6,026 km2 (2,326.7 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Ian Gosper (Independent|
Cabonne Shire is a local government area in the Central West region of New South Wales, Australia. The Shire is located adjacent to the Mitchell Highway and the Broken Hill railway line, partly surrounding the City of Orange. The administrative centre is located at Molong. The shire population was estimaed to be 13,860 in 2015. It is a region with more than half of businesses, 858 of 1683, being in agriculture.
Towns and localities
The towns and localities in the Cabonne Shire are:
Current composition and election method
Cabonne Shire Council is composed of twelve Councillors elected proportionally as a single ward. All Councillors are elected for a fixed four-year term of office. The Mayor is elected by the Councillors at the first meeting of the Council. The most recent election was held on 8 September 2012, and the makeup of the Council is as follows:
|Independents and Unaligned||12|
The current Council, elected in 2012, in order of election, is:
|Lachlan MacSmith||Unaligned||Deputy Mayor|
A 2015 review of local government boundaries recommended that the Cabonne Shire merge with the Orange City and Blayney Shire Councils to form a new council with an area of 7,833 square kilometres (3,024 sq mi) and support a population of approximately 63,000. The outcome of the independent review is expected to be completed by mid–2016.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2014–15". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Cabonne Shire Council". Division of Local Government. Retrieved 28 November 2006.
- "Cabonne (A) (LGA)". Australian Bureau of Statistics. 29 June 2015.
- "Cabonne Shire Council: Summary of First Preference and Group Votes for each Candidate". Local Government Elections 2012. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 12 September 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Former deputy elected Cabonne mayor". ABC News. Australia. 25 September 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "100 years of local government in Molong, 1879-1979" (PDF).
- "Merger proposal: Blayney Shire Council, Cabonne Shire, Orange City Council" (PDF). Government of New South Wales. January 2016. p. 7. Retrieved 4 March 2016.