Cabot High School
|Cabot High School|
Front entrance to CHS main building
|401 N. Lincoln St.
Cabot, Arkansas, USA
|NCES School ID||050375000123|
|Faculty||124.61 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.91|
|Fight song||On, Wisconsin!|
|Average ACT scores||21.7 math, 23.6 english (2006)|
|Newspaper||The Panther Tale|
Cabot High School (CHS) is a public high school serving students in grades ten through twelve in Cabot, Arkansas. CHS is administered by Cabot Public Schools, which serves the city and most of northern Lonoke County.
The assumed course of study for students follows the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education. Students complete regular (core and career focus) courses and exams and may select Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams that provide an opportunity for college credit. As of 2010, the school provides Advanced Placement Program (AP) exams in the following areas:
According to the 2005–06 annual school performance report, 98 percent of the district’s teachers were completely certified and 38 percent had master's degrees. The graduation rate was 80.5 percent, while the dropout rate was 4.2 percent.
Students taking the ACT had an average math score of 21.7, a 23.6 in English and a composite of 22.4. The district had a grade inflation rate of 1.2 percent and a college remediation rate of 35 percent.
For 2012–14, the Cabot Panthers compete in the state's largest classification—7A Classification—from the 7A/6A East Conference, as administered by the Arkansas Activities Association. The Panthers participate in football, volleyball, golf (boys/girls), bowling (boys/girls), cross country (boys/girls), basketball (boys/girls), competitive cheer, competitive dance, soccer (boys/girls), baseball, softball, wrestling, swimming & diving (boys/girls), tennis (boys/girls), track & field (boys/girls).
- Football: The Panthers won the state football championship in 1983 and 2000.C
- Volleyball: The Lady Panthers volleyball teams won consecutive state volleyball championships in 1989 and 1990.
- Golf: The boys golf team are 8-time state golf champions (1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2009, 2010). The girls golf team are 9-time state golf champions including winning its first title in 1976 before piling up 8 consecutive state golf titles between 1986 and 1993.
- Bowling: The girls bowling team are 4-time state bowling champions (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015).The boys bowling team are 4-time state bowling champions (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015). Both have 8 state championships and 11 conference titles
- Basketball: The Lady Panthers won their first state basketball championship in 2012. The Panthers won their first title in 2016, defeating Bentonville and Malik Monk, 59-49.
Clubs and traditions
Cabot students are provided the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of clubs and organizations that offer activities, events, networking, and competitions including:
Note: This is not a complete list of all the clubs/organizations at CHS.
The following are notable people associated with Cabot High School. If the person was a Cabot High School student, the number in parentheses indicates the year of graduation; if the person was a faculty or staff member, that person's title and years of association are included:
- Hayden Balgavy (2009) - KTHV-TV sportscaster
- Tom Brannon (1985) - KTHV-TV meteorologist
- Kimberly Forsyth (1997) - Miss Arkansas USA 2006
- Whitney Kirk (1998) - Miss Arkansas 2003
- Paula Montgomery (1990) - Miss Arkansas 1995, Miss Arkansas Teen USA 1991
- Terri Utley (1980) - Miss USA 1982, Miss Arkansas USA 1982
- Pat Walker (1992) - KARK/KLRT-TV meteorologist
- Cody Wilson (2006) - Founder of Defense Distribute
- Lexi Weeks (2015) American pole vaulter qualified for the 2016 Summer Olympics
- Kevin Hunt - Razorback Football
Educational TV access
Cabot High School's broadcasting department, in cooperation with Suddenlink Communications cable television, broadcasts Cabot High Television (CHTV) and the Cabot Schools Network (CSN) locally on channel 3 in the area.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Cabot High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- http://www.arkansasleader.com/2007/04/top-story-state-grades-performance.html The Leader: Stage grades performance, dated April 2, 2007
- Arkansas Times Staff; Brantley, Max (October 19, 2006). "The Observer". Arkansas Times. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
- "School Profile, Cabot High School - LR". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved February 16, 2013.